Part Twenty Five - I need space

Chapter Twenty Five

The apartment was empty when Julia emerged from her bedroom the following day. She was relieved. Her reaction the previous evening had scared her. She'd never reacted like that, never thrown herself at someone like that. All her previous sexual encounters had been at her command, she'd needed something, then she'd gone out and got it, without any comeback, without any questions. That was why she always ensured those encounters were with strangers, in neutral situations where she wasn't threatened or forced to do anything she didn't want to.

She stood in the kitchen and stared at the sofa, when she closed her eyes, she could feel his lips on her, kissing was fine, kissing was safe...but he'd touched her, laid a hand over her breast and it was all it took to almost set off a panic attack. She hadn't had one for years, and that was a good thing. But even this morning her legs were shaking. Reaching for her phone she dialled a number she hadn't needed for a long time.

"Can I speak to Doctor Fleming please?" She asked the familiar receptionist's voice.

"I'm afraid she's with a client, can I take a message?"

She sighed, trying to garner a little strength, "it's Julia Curtis. I emailed her last week and she told me I could call and speak to her if I needed."

The older woman who was always so friendly and accommodating gave a little sigh, "that's fine. Hopefully she can call you in the next half an hour? She has a break coming up."

"I don't want to put her out."

"Pft!" The other woman exclaimed. "If she told you to call, then she wants to speak to you. Keep your phone free for the next hour, if it's going to be longer than that, then I'll call you."

She tackled making chilli for dinner, it was Abi's favourite and would sit in the fridge all weekend until they needed it. They'd agreed the night before that they'd go out and hit the town early. Drinks and then dinner early in one of Aaron's favourite roof top bars in mid-town. He'd been promising her a trip there, but they hadn't made it as yet. They both guessed that the two visitors would hit a wall of fatigue early evening, so they intended to be home by ten to have drinks in the roof garden.

Since her storming off the previous evening she had no idea what the plan was now, so she was covering all options. If she had food, drink and everything they could possibly need for the weekend, she could get on and just chill all weekend. She'd booked an appointment at a wedding dress boutique at one point, and a pamper session in a hotel that Aaron had a discount in. Aaron was planning a round of golf with his brother whilst they did that, but the rest of the time they were doing the tourist thing. Lots of time with Aaron, so she had to make peace with him. But that thought terrified her.

She was just putting fresh flowers into the vases that she'd found in a charity shop along the street, when her phone rang.

Dr Fleming.

"Julia, I was so glad to receive your email. You're in New York...my favourite place. How is that going?"

Julia collapsed onto the sofa and closed her eyes, "I needed the break away from London. This is a great place."

"I saw the news that your Uncle died, I thought that you may have contacted me then."

"I wasn't sure...I went off the rails a little...but this trip was on the horizon, so I knew I could escape it."

The doctor was quiet for a moment before she spoke, "and how are you now? You called."