Part Eight - Life in the Big Apple

Chapter Eight

Should he wake her? Aaron looked down at the sleeping trio on the sofa, and had no idea what to do. It was a slightly awkward situation, he had hoped to be home early, to greet her, show her around. They'd not got off to the best start in London, and whilst he wasn't sure exactly what had gone wrong, he felt guilty. It had been important to him that he was there at a reasonable time on her first night. But as what seemed to be more common as time went on, he had been delayed. So, the ever accommodating Carrie stepped in, but she was so flighty that he wasn't sure she'd shown Julia half the things she should have. This wasn't just a new home for her, it was a new continent.

Cliffy the Yorkie stirred, and he suddenly realised that was the way forward. Crossing to the kitchen, he opened the cupboard door that held the dogs' special treat. There wasn't a sleep deep enough to stop that sound penetrating their brains. Sure enough, he'd barely straightened back up and the two animals were around his ankles. Bending down he scratched their heads, giving them the dried pieces of chicken that they loved. Standing back to his full height, he loosened his tie, and then opened the fridge.

When he turned back to the lounge, beer bottle in hand, Julia was studying him sleepily from his position on the sofa. Her blonde hair was tied back off her face, and she looked pale and thin. He'd not thought that about her just a few weeks ago. But then she'd moved away from home, that was stressful in its own right.

Smiling, he offered, "sorry, wasn't sure if I should wake you. You want a beer?"

She pondered his words for a moment, before nodding, "why not. Sorry for sleeping...I was watching TV...then I wasn't."

Nodding he opened a beer for her, then crossed the room to hand it to her, "it's the unpredictability of jetlag. Hits you like a hammer. Did you eat?"

She took the bottle as she sat up, then took a long drink, "that's good. I needed a beer. I had a sandwich from the shop near the park...I took your boys there." She smiled, "You had a busy day? You look tired?"

He nodded, "always some crisis or another, I intended to be home...you know to show you where everything is."

Shrugging she took another drink, "Carrie pointed me in the right direction, the rest I worked out. I mean I walked the dogs at the park across the road. I fed them, cos they looked desperate..." she grimaced. "But I imagine they're good at that?"

He chuckled, his pets were adorable, but also very manipulative, "are they playing you already?" As he sat on the sofa opposite her, both dogs leapt up to curl into him. Another suit ruined by dog hair, but he didn't mind, he had a great dry cleaner...and they were really so lovable.

"They're great dogs."

He smiled, "so what are you plans for tomorrow? Are they expecting you at the museum?"

Nodding Julia reclined back against the sofa, "yes. My contact there has sent me travel details. Carrie said the underground is close to here?"

He nodded, "a couple of blocks. It's a straight route though if you get the C train. Should take about thirty minutes."

That made her smile, "I wasn't sure, I looked on Google earlier, but didn't really have my bearings...I was going to get a taxi."

He shook his head, "NO! It'll cost a fortune as it'll be gridlock all the way to the Upper West side. If you need anything, practical...you'll ask? Promise me?"

Nodding she curled up, legs tucked under her, "ok. Thanks. For all this. I'd be lost without you stepping in."

It was his turn to shrug, he didn't want her feeling gratitude, that wasn't what this was about, "as I said, this place is plenty big enough...and the boys like you already. I'm away in a few days...not sure for how long, but I will keep you up to date. Ok?"