YTTD - Chapter 23

Nate's house for some who don't remember how it looked:

Sometimes I worried about my actions.

I wonder if the people closest to me labeled me stupid now and then.

Because I did feel stupid about what I was planning to do.

I didn't know why I decided to suddenly take a bus to Ashton's house out of nowhere - and actually succeed by getting off the right place. It has been three days since he was at school, and I could see that people were starting to notice his absence. Unlike his reputation as a bad boy and skipping classes, he's actually never been gone for several days straight. And I could see his popular gang getting confused for each day that went by without him at the table during lunch. So I was here as a concerned friend.

Though the last thing I wanted to do right now was push on that red button outside the metal gate. Just the entrance to his house looked so much more intimidating now that I wasn't driven inside. Exhaling a deep breath, I reached forward and pushed the button before waiting.

"State your name and business."

A male voice crackled through as I nervously replied.

"Uhm, Allie Miller and..uh I'm a friend of Nate Ashton."

There was the sound of papers rustling for a few seconds when the voice returned. "Sorry miss, you're not on the list of visitors."

"L-list?" I stuttered.

"Yes. Have a good day."

"Wait-" but before I could say anything else, there was a click and the line went silent.

Letting out a dejected sigh, I glared at the camera placed on top of the gate and in the moment of my anger, flipped it my middle finger. I hope the guy on the other side saw it.

Without another choice I turned back around to walk back to where I remembered the bus dropped me off. But before I even could take three steps; a familiar sleek black car rounded around the corner and slowly drove in my direction, only to stop just by my side. Frowning at it in confusion, the window rolled down and I was greeted with a friendly smile.

"Robert right?" I asked the man that had driven me here the very first day.

"That is correct Miss Miller," he replied, the grandfatherly smile still on. "May I ask what you are doing here?"

"Well I was going to visit Ashton, but apparently there was a list," I subtly rolled my eyes at that, and Robert chuckled at me.

"Ah yes, that wretched list. Personally, I don't see why they have that stupid thing," he shook his head. "Come on, I'll drive you inside."

My eyes widened as I looked at him. "Wait really?"

"Yes, it's no problem," he grinned and waved his hand for me to get in.