YTTD - Chapter 24

I walked home after school that day with my mind in a confused puddle. I had told myself to just brush off the the weird conversation that went down with Santana, but my brain didn't want to stop thinking about it. I didn't manage to pay attention to any of my classes after lunch, and just mindlessly sat in my seat while I pretended to pay attention. Luckily none of the teachers had called up my name for some question. Lily and Grace also noticed my behavior and occasionally sent me worried glances in our same classes. But they refrained from saying anything. I hadn't told them what Santana said, seeing how I didn't even know what was happening myself. So after I said a halfhearted goodbye to my friends, I walked home slower than usual. 

I thought maybe some time with fresh air would clear my confused mind and help me get thinking. But it obviously didn't.  

I was trying to think of when all this...weirdness - one could call it, started. 

Honestly, as I could remember it. Everything was fine. 

Everything was normal with the usual teenage drama that people go through, and then suddenly things just got strange. 

How strange on the other hand, I was still trying to figure out. A part of me hoped everyone was just going through some weird phase and things would go back to normal any day now. 

Running a frustrated hand through my hair, I let out a sigh and stared up at my house blankly. I hadn't even noticed I arrived before now. Securing the strap of my backpack, I trudged up to the stairs and opened the door. Stepping inside, the first thing I noticed was the strong smell of coffee cooking from the kitchen. And that made me even more confused. 

Who would be making coffee now? My parents are never home before me or Addison. And I hardly think my fifteen year old sister had suddenly taken an interest in coffee all of a sudden. Walking into the kitchen, the familiar fram of my mother dressed in her pyjamas greeted me. She had her back turned while preparing something on the stove. Her blonde locks that I inherited being pulled into a messy bun. 

"Mom?" I asked confused, as she glanced over her shoulder at my voice. 

"Oh hey honey, good day at school?" 

"It was okay," I replied slowly and dropped my bag on one of the island chairs. "What are you doing home?"

"I called in sick today," she explained and turned around with a plate of pancakes. Without another word, she prepared me a plate and placed it in front of me while giving my head a kiss. 

"Thanks," I mumbled as she sat down across from me. "But you never call in sick."

Mom strained a smile, "Yes well, can't be healthy all the time now, can we?"

Now that she mentioned it, I did notice that her complexion was a bit paler than usual, and she had heavy bags underneath her eyes which was something new as well. If there was one thing my mother knew best, it was to take care of herself. She had a strict sleeping schedule during the weekdays and had kept to it ever since Addison was born. But to see her like this, didn't give me a good feeling. 

"Do you want me to go and pick up some medicine?" I asked her concerned.

She waved me off while taking a large sip out of her mug with coffee. "No need honey. I'm just a bit tired."

"A bit," I repeated in disbelief. "Mom, you look like the living dead."

She let out a small laugh, "I do, don't I?"

Slowly eating from my plate, I swallowed before asking something else. "When did you even get home yesterday? I can't remember hearing you."

Her body tensed for a small moment before it was gone again. "It was very late. You were already sleeping by that time."