YTTD - Chapter 28

I glanced frantically around me, trying somehow to find a way out of Ashton's fury, but he seemed to already know what I was planning before I even managed to make up my mind as he moved in closer.

I held my breath and pressed my back further into the bookshelf, intimidated by his proximity and gaze directed at me.

"It's not what you think!" were the words that I managed to squeak out.

"So you weren't eavesdropping?"

I bit down on my tongue, knowing nothing I said could get me out this situation. And the fact that I actually was listening to their conversation.

"To my defense, I thought you were just a random couple sneaking around," I said weakly as a brow arched at my words.

"Do you usually make it a habit to stalk couples?" His voice had the patronizing tone that made me bristle, but I held myself back, reminding myself that he had a good reason to feel angry as well.

"Listen, I wasn't planning on hearing whatever it was you two were talking about, alright?" I told him in a firmer tone. "You're lucky that it was me and not some nosy freshman. And what were you thinking in the first place by choosing the public library?" I asked incredulously as he rolled his eyes.

"Where I have my conversations is none of your business," Ashton replied. "How much did you hear?"

I crossed my arms defiantly and stared him in the eyes. "Not much."

His own narrowed at me, "You're lying."

"No I'm not," I lied.

He leaned even closer if possible, but I held my posture. "When you lie you can't hold eye contact," he suddenly said as I faltered only the slightest, eyes widening a bit.

I never even noticed that. I had to be even more careful around him if he was that observant.

"So what if I heard?" I retorted. "Afraid I'll go to the cops or something?"

Instead of looking nervous, Ashton smirked at my words, making me more uneasy.

"You don't know enough to go running to the police, Miller."

Well shit. He was right.

If I ever planned to go to the cops - which I wasn't, mind you - I wouldn't have enough evidence of anything to convince them that Nate Ashton was up to something suspicious. Simply claiming that I had overheard a conversation wasn't enough to convince anyone actually.

"Then why are you still holding me here?" I couldn't but question in slight annoyance.

"How do I know you won't be running off and blabbing to everyone what you just heard?" He shot back.

"You were the one who just said the cops wouldn't believe me anyways."

He was getting aggravated, I could see it by the way he clenched his teeth from our close proximity. Even finding myself admiring how sharp his jawline looked for a few seconds before snapping myself out of it.

"Wait what?"

It was at that moment I realized he had been talking and I didn't notice because I was too busy admiring his face. God dammit Allie, get a grip and stop acting like a lovesick teen!

He looked mildly annoyed at my question before he repeated his words. Geez, what crawled up his butt today?

"You do not speak to anyone about what you heard today, understood?"

"Only if you tell me what you were talking about," I didn't know where this stupid bravery was coming from, but it was too late now.

His eyes narrowed dangerously as I tried not to cower back, not that there was any space for me to either. "How many times do I have to tell you that it's none of your business?"