Chapter 15: What Are We Going To Do?

The Oozmas were outside, coming up with a strategy for the next event. Don, Terri, Terry, Art, and Squishy were sitting on the stairs, Mike was standing in front of them about to give instructions, and Sulley and Y/N were leaning against a tree.

"Okay! Listen up, Oozmas. Now, we're going to have to start winning these things together, so that means I'm going to need each of you guys to pull your own weight," Mike explained.

"Mike?" Squishy said, startling Mike.

"What is it?" Mike asked.

"We've made a list of our strengths and weaknesses," Squishy answered.

He handed him a piece of paper and Mike read it silently.

"In high school, I was the master of the silent scare. I could sneak up on a field mouse in a pillow factory," Don stated, but when he demonstrated, the tentacles made a squishy sound, then he explained, "Sorry! They get stickier when I'm sweaty. Oh, my gosh, that's terrible."

"We're experts in the ancient craft of close-up magic," Terry remarked as both of them did card tricks.

"It's all about misdirection," Terri added, making it look like the cards disappeared, but they fell out of his sleeve, making Terry groan.

"I have an extra toe. Not with me, of course," Art told them.

"Guys, one slip-up on the next event, and we're goners. So for this to work, I'm gonna need you to take every instinct you have and bury it deep, deep down," Mike explained as he crumpled up the list.

"Done," Art answered immediately.

"From now on, we are of one mind. My mind," Mike told them.

"Oh, please," Sulley mumbled, earning a light elbow to the gut from Y/N, but he just shrugged.

"I will tell you exactly what to do, and how to do it," Mike continued.

The others agreed with a little hesitation.

"All right. Give me scary steps. Fifty up and down, right now. Let's go!" Mike commanded and they did them.

"Mike, you don't need to work them to death," Y/N pointed out.

"I'm not. They just need to work harder if we're gonna win the Scare Games," Mike told her.

"Well, you're wasting your time. We need a new team," Sulley added.

"We can't just 'get a new team'! I checked this morning. It's against the rules," Mike responded.

"What if we disguised a new team to look like the old team?" Sulley suggested.

"Oh, no, no. We are not cheating," Mike declined while Y/N gave Sulley a "You can't be serious" look.

"It's not cheating. I'm just, you know, leveling the playing field," Sulley stated.

"Dude," Y/N remarked, making him look at her and he caved.

"Okay, so it's kind of cheating, but what do you want me to do? They're not exactly the scariest group in the world," Sulley pointed out.

"Oh, a ladybug! Make a wish! Make a wish!" Squishy exclaimed to Art.

He blew it off Squishy's hand and it flew away, making them chuckle. Mike, Y/N, and Sulley gave them all dumbfounded looks.

"This is not going to work," Sulley said then he started walking away.

"Where are you going? We're training," Mike asked.

"I'm a Sullivan," Sulley remarked.

"That's not enough," Y/N replied.

"You're all over the place. You're charging ahead when you--" Mike added.

"Bup, bup, bup! You tell them what to do but not me. Y/N can, but not you. So long, Coach," Sulley waved off, winked at Y/N as he clicked his tongue, and left.

Y/N was once again flustered by the mischievous James P. Sullivan. She couldn't help but stare at him in a dreamy haze as he walked off.

"Y/N, could you go and talk to him?" Mike requested, snapping her out of her haze.

"Huh? Oh. I actually thought he was kidding about listening to me. He hasn't before, so why would it make a difference now?" she explained.

Mike nodded in understanding.

"Okay, Oozmas," he started, was scared by Squishy, and commented, "Boy, we need to get you a bell."

He grabbed the envelope and handed it to Y/N.

"Listen up. 'If a kid hears you coming, they'll call Mom or Dad, then you'd better run fast or things will get bad,'" she read.

"Huh?" Art responded.

"In the next event, if even one of us gets caught, we're all out. So remember, do exactly what I do," Mike explained.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N This is productive, huh (Note the sarcasm)? Will things work out for you Oozmas?