Falling

I open the door, motioning Nate, as he likes to be called, inside.

"Who's here, Celia?"

I take Nate's hand, walking him into kitchen.

"Dad, I would like you to meet Nathaniel, my boyfriend."

At the mention of 'boyfriend', my father spins around, eyes dragging over Nate's body.

I can see Nate's intimidated. Who wouldn't be? My father is a 6' man loaded with muscle and covered in tattoos.

"Nice to meet you, Nathaniel. I'm Kaleb."

They shake hands before my dad asks the burning question.

"How long have you been dating?"

"Just over a year, sir."

Daggers shoot from my father's eyes in my direction.

"So why am I just meeting you?"

"I wanted to keep Nathaniel my own little personal secret for as long as possible."

"Why are you telling me now?"

I prepare for the worst as the words leave my lips.

"Because in a few months, I'm having his baby."

The reaction I get is not what I expected.

"You better be prepared. Let me know what I can do to help."

He goes back to chopping onions. I can't help but be shocked.

"You aren't mad?"

"I expected you to be smarter but I can't stand here and tell you that you have made a huge mistake. I'd be a hypocrite."

I was born just after my mother and father graduated high school. The product of one drunk night.

"Thank you for at least introducing me to the boy. You could have kept him a secret like your mother did."

I remember all the stories. Mom told her parents while my father was out working some crappy job in order to be able to help pay for me. They were shocked to find out that my mother had a secret boyfriend. When they finally met my father, my mom was already four months pregnant.

I turn to Nate and jerk my head to the living room. He nods and follows me.

"That was easier than expected."

"I'm glad I didn't get heat for the actions of another man. I was expecting my head to get ripped off or something."

"Afraid of my dad?"

"No. Afraid of your dad if he was to become angry at the fact that I knocked up his daughter. Even though the kid isn't mine."

"Can you stop saying the baby isn't yours? I know already. Believe me, I know. You just need to play the part until the birth and then you can get the hell out of my life."

"Unless you fall for me."