Instincts

I strap Emerson into her car seat, Nathaniel doing the same with Julien.

"Ready to go home?"

"Yes. One day in the hospital was more than enough, but several? I can't wait to get the girls home and settled in."

"Did you forget that graduation is tomorrow?"

I did.

"Is it the 20th already tomorrow?"

"Yes."

The girls were born on the 18th early in the morning, even though I went into labor on the 17th.

"Wow. I hope you have fun."

"You'll be walking across the stage."

"I'll be home feeding and changing the twins."

"At least sit in the back of the auditorium as people graduate."

"With two kids? They'll wake up during a speech or something and start crying."

I stare at my newborns, sighing. They are perfect. I am so grateful that they don't look like Harrison.

Yet. There's always time for changes.

They each have a thin coating of dark brown hair and they have chocolate color eyes.

"You're a stubborn woman, you'll end up doing whatever you want anyway."

"But you love me for that."

"And you love me?"

The entire sentence is full of question and hope. However, I'm still unsure if it's just the hormones. I mean, I did give the girls his last name on the birth certificates.

"Give me a week. Let my hormones get back in line for now."

He looks disappointed with my answer. I would hate to admit something I'm not sure is true yet. I need time to think of it.

My phone buzzes and I take it out.

"My dad wants to know when we're coming home."

"Now. Ready?"

"Yes."

We leave the room, waving to the nurses as we go by. I see a few more mothers cradling newborns. Some fathers are in the hallways with kids. One in particular is pacing back and forth in front of a door. Nate stops in front of him.

"This your first kid?"

The man examines the car seat on Nate's arm, then the one on mine.

"Yeah. Baby boy."

"Just relax. It's a rewarding experience to be a father."

"You a first time father, too?"

"Yeah. Bringing my girls home today."

"Congrats."

"Thanks. Take my word. When you see the baby for the first time, the fear goes away and it's replaced with a protective instinct."

He shakes the guy's hand before we start walking towards the elevators again.

"Do you have a protective instinct going?"

"With such a gorgeous girlfriend and two beautiful daughters? I'd be an idiot if I wasn't protective."

Can he get any better?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Isn't Nate sweet? 

Thoughts so far on the story?