Cornered

When I walk out of the bathroom, I stop in my tracks. Harrison Miles is standing at the water fountain. I hug the wall as I hurry passed him. Staying out of sight doesn't work. He pounces on me instantly. His hand holds me by my arm.

"Cecilia Logan. God have I missed you."

"Leave me alone or I'll scream."

"I don't think you will. You clearly won't. You haven't done anything yet, suggesting that you won't."

The stereotype of all jocks are morons doesn't apply to Harrison. He's in the top ten for the entire class and already has a full ride to Dartmouth starting next September.

By that time, his baby will be a few months old.

"So I hear you have a bun in the oven. Is that correct?"

"That's none of your business."

He tightens his grip on my arm,

"Nathaniel King claims to be the father but I think that's a lie."

His other hand slides to cover my stomach.

"Judging by the bump, I'd say that he definitely isn't the father."

I squirm, trying to escape his grasp. Of course he's right that I won't scream or cause a commotion. The only thing I can do is hope a teacher or another student will round the corner and interrupt him.

"Do you have something to tell me, Cecilia?"

The way he says my name makes me sick to my stomach.

"Please just leave me alone. I need to get back to class."

"So that's a yes. When were you going to tell me I'm going to be a father?"

He lets his guard down just enough to give me the opportunity to slam my knee into his crotch. He lets go of me and bends over in pain.

I bolt down the hall towards Mrs. Robyn's class. I slip back into the safety of the classroom. Thankfully, nobody questions why I was gone for so long.