Guilt

I take the photo of Nate's first day of preschool from Delilah, examining it closely.

"Nathaniel was very upset that day. He really didn't like being separated from his sister. But when he came home, he couldn't stop talking about how amazing school was."

I take another photo from her as she extends them to me. Nate's fingers brush against my arm. I look towards him. His expression is unreadable.

"Did you know that Nathaniel here has never missed a day of school?"

I pretend to act shocked, seeing how proud she is of this fact.

"He hasn't? He never told me that."

"I'm overjoyed that he is so dedicated! Keeping such good attendance helps keep good grades which helps him get into a good college. Especially now that he is going to have a little one soon."

Guilt washes over me. This has really gotten out of hand. I feel bad for tricking such a sweet woman into thinking that her son got me pregnant when it was really a piece of trash who takes advantage of girls.

My phone buzzes in my pocket. I take a peek to see who texted me. It's my dad.

"Excuse my rude behavior. It's my father."

"No need to apologize, darling."

Dad: You haven't checked in yet. Are you okay? Is his mother some kind of mutant sea creature?

I hold back my laughter.

"I'm sorry, but my father wants me home."

"I understand. I've kept you here for a long time as it is."

"Thank you for inviting me into your lovely home, Delilah."

"You can stop in any time you want. I'm always home."

The guilt overwhelms me. I have to stop this. I have to get the truth out.

And the only way to do that is to tell the truth.