First Impressions

I smooth my hands over my shirt for the millionth time since Nate picked me up. He drapes his arm around my shoulder.

"You look beautiful. Just relax."

"I just want to make a good impression."

"You'll do fine."

He opens the front door of a little house. The sweet smell of fresh baked cookies hits my nose instantly.

"Nathaniel, is that you?"

"Yes, Mom."

"Do you have your girlfriend with you?"

"Yes."

"Bring her on in here! Let me meet her!"

I can't help but smile at her enthusiasm. I follow Nate into the cute little kitchen when his mother, an adorable little old lady, stands at the oven.

"You must be Cecilia! Aren't you just the prettiest girl ever? Come over and give me a hug!"

Nate gently nudges my lower back with his hand. I accept the warm embrace from his mother.

"I'm Delilah, Nathaniel's mother."

I'm speechless from all the attention. Thankfully, Nate jumps in and saves me.

"I told you that you didn't have to bake cookies, Mom."

"I was just being nice! I remember when I was pregnant with you I craved homemade chocolate chip cookies all the time."

She extends the plate to me and I politely take one. I take a bite and sigh. They are still warm and gooey. The best kind.

I swallow and smile.

"They are delicious. Thank you so much, Ms. King."

"None of that, darling. Please, call me Delilah."

The smile on Delilah's face tells me everything I need to know.

I succeeded in making a good impression on her.