Surprises

I tape the box closed, sealing the two white balloons inside. Today is the day my dad and Delilah are going to hear about the twins.
"You made sure the balloons are gender neutral, correct?"

"Yes."

Lili squeals from her perch at the window.

"They're back!"

Delilah insisted on tagging along with my dad when he had to run to the court house.

'To get to know him', was her excuse. I just think she wanted to give Nate and I privacy.

Lili jumps into the arm chair as Nate helps me up. I place the box on the coffee table when they walk in.

"What's all this? A cardboard box? Three teens? Please tell me it isn't a puppy."

I smile at Delilah's words. My dad eyes up the box.

"Come sit down. There is something we need to tell you."

They sit down on the sofa showing two different expressions.

"I went to get an ultrasound earlier, as you all know, and I found something out that I would like to share."

I let Nate slice the fresh tape, opening the box. The two balloons escape, their strings taped to the bottom of the box and held down with tape.

'Baby 1'

'Baby 2'

"Twins!"

"Twins?"

I smile and place my hands on my stomach. Delilah spring up from the couch, rushing to give me a hug.

"Congratulations!!"

I do my best to hug her back. My father sits rigid, his fists clenched in his lap.

"What's wrong, Kaleb?"

"That little piece of crap..."

I appreciate the flowery language in front of Delilah. She would probably smack him upside the head if he used foul language in front of her!

"...raped my daughter and got her pregnant with not only one, but two kids."

"Dad, please calm down. I already know you beat him up."

Confusion covers his face.

"I didn't beat him up."

Oh. I just wrongly accused my father of beating someone up.

"Forget what I said."

"Okay. But congratulations. I can't wait until I hold those little ones."

The thought of my tough looking father holding two babies makes me laugh. Lili, knowing my personality, smiles and shakes her head.