Kicks

It takes ages for the cops to go anywhere with the case. Just another story of a party gone wrong in their eyes. Nothing more. Nothing less.

My father's hand on my shoulder startles me.

"Just got the word. Harrison's out on bail."

The news makes me sick to my stomach.

"He has some sort of restrictions, right? House arrest? Restraining order? Anything?"

He shakes his head.

"It's his first offense. He's got strong community ties. They set bail and his parents posted it not even ten minutes later."

Anger boils my blood.

"Do you need anything?"

"I just want to be left alone right now, thank you."

"Don't stress yourself out. It'll all work out in the end. He'll get what he deserves and if the court doesn't do that, I will."

"Thank you."

He disappears to another part of the house and the front door opens. Nate rushes in and kneels down beside me on the couch.

"I came as soon as I heard."

I start shaking, upset from the entire situation.

"Everything would have been just fine if you didn't rat me out to the cops. I would be deciding if I want to keep the baby or even picking out possible names! Instead, I'm caught up in pending court case and everybody looks at me like I'm a fragile girl who will break!"

I bury my head in my hands, letting tears stream down my face as I shake from the sobs. All Nate does, all he can do, is pull me against him. A sharp pain in my stomach causes me to pull away from Nathaniel's embrace. My hand covers my stomach and I let my mouth hang open in shock.

"What's going on? Something wrong with the baby?"

"I think the baby just kicked."

I pull up my shirt and move my hand around until I feel another kick.

"The baby is kicking!"

His hand replaces mine and the kicks stop. He frowns and I laugh.

"Looks like the baby doesn't like you."

"The baby better like me. I'm the father after all."

Just the fact that he still says this, even after he found out about the rape, makes me smile.