Shots fired • 2

*

Chapter 2: Dating Planner

I felt the car jerk as soon as I pulled into my mother's driveway and I hear the familiar barking coming from the outside of my car.

I take a peek over the hood to my dog standing on his hands legs with his paws on the car, while barking and smiling like the good boy he is.

He adds to my good mood.

I get out the car leaving my back pack in the passenger side and heading to pick up-

"Hey Pixle!" I coo as I crouch down so the small dog can jump up and lick all over me and add more happiness to my day. I pick him up with one hand and hold him close to my chest while he lays his head on my lower chest.

I walk into the house using my key to unlock the door, inside my mother lies on the couch, sitting in front of newspaper clippings and thick stacks of files. Her vest was sitting next to her, her hair pulled back and a beer in her hand.

"Hey Mom!" I say and pixle barks after as if he were to be greeting her also. She looks at me and I see the dark rings around her eyes and the puffy red bags above them.

"Mom." I say softer this time, lowering Pixle a bit with my glum, concerned expression and energy.

I carefully place pixle to the ground and watch as he begins to play with himself before walking over to my mom and sitting on the brown leather couch. My warm palm found it's way to her thigh as I looked at her.

"I'm fine, Niall." She groaned out looking at a document.

My mom was a lieutenant and she led a squad of detectives through some gruesome crimes and cases. She reminded me of Olivia Benson from that one crime show. Strong, fearless and dedicated. Sometimes would go days without sleep to find the exact perpetrator.

"No your not, mom." I say and she sighs before rubbing her hands over her eyes. She then forces a smile and turns to look at me.

"How was your day?"

I pretend that she didn't force the smile and that it was real. Also that my mom is somewhere in that tired, drained body and not miserable over a crime she never committed.

I pretended that she was okay and painted a smile of my own. I take her hand in mine and I remember the glorious news I had to tell her.

"Remember me telling you about this girl named Peyton?" I questioned and she looks confused trying to remember and then she shifts figuring it out.

"Yes! The brown haired, cheerleader." She says and I pull my lips into my mouth biting down for a second before releasing and smiling wide and big.

"I asked her out and she agreed." I said and she shouted in triumph. Both had genuine smiles on our faces and we hugged and screamed. She pulls away and pinches my cheeks.

"My little Niall has his first date!" She says and I blush a bright red, smiling.

Yes it was true, I've never been on a date and I'm a junior in high school. Girls and guys have always been so unapproachable for me and I have bad anxiety and claustrophobia so it's hard sometimes to do certain things without freaking out and having a panic attack.

"Yeah. I'm taking her to dinner and I'm going to take her to the beach after. Maybe show her my guitar after. Sounds good?" I ask and she nods, covering her mouth while her swollen eyes water.