Windy Forecast • 3

Chapter 3: Windy Forecast

I stopped by later that afternoon at Peyton's house. I decided I wanted to hang with her more before our date so I could familiarize myself with her before tomorrow. I didn't want to look like a total awkward buffoon at the date. I wanted to impress her, not run her off.

I pull into her house and text her account to let her know that I was outside. She had a nice, small home with a garden out front and a vintage water fountain. I lean against the hood of my car and shove my hands into my front pocket.

Breathe. She's just a girl.

I heard the door squeak and it opened to reveal her. A normal, fully dressed Peyton walk out holding two mugs of something and smiling. Her blonde hair was wavy and loose, she wore sweats and a cardigan and she looked refreshed.

It made me smile.

"Hey! You look cool." She says and walks up to my car. She sets down a pink mug and hands me the green one.

"Thanks. You look cute." I say and she chuckles a bit. She pushes her hand through her hair, pushing her hair to the side.

"Thanks. I try." She says and shrugs a bit and takes a sip of her drink.

I pick up the mug and take a sip. My tongue is immediately burnt by the hot, green tea. I pull the cup down and hiss at the temperature and she stiffens at my response and looks at me concerned.

"You okay?" She asks and I press my tongue to the top of my mouth and nod in pain. She places her hand over my mine and looks at me a bit too close.

"Ah. I'm sorry." She says and I smirk a bit, trying to soak my tongue in saliva so I can cool my burning tongue down.

"Green tea is the shittiest of all tea." I tell her honestly and chuckle a bit afterward. I look up to meet her gaze and she looks a bit sad.

I look confused. "Green tea is my favorite." She says small. I look over her face and realize that she must really like green tea

"Uh- well it's an okay drink. I don't like it too much." I say and she just grabbed my mug and smiled like my mother.

Forced and fake.

"Let's just go inside she says and I kind of look down or away at that awkward moment. I walk into her house and I can hear the silent emptiness of her home being filled with our footsteps.

Well except from the news.

"This just in, Last night around the Abandoned railroad tracks near an old prison where the infamous gang, Rural Raptors used to meet up, a young teen was shot."  I hear and decide to walk deeper into the living room to head to the tv. I watch the woman standing in front of the crime scene give details on what she thinks happened

"Giselle Harper, a teen dropout was shot her tonight and her perp fled the scene leaving her body to rot and freeze in the midnight air. The department will release more details coming at six o'clock news." She says and I kind of feel a feeling of guilt.

Peyton walks up behind me. "Hey, I knew her. She and I were friends in the first grade." She says and leans against me and I look down to her with her arms crossed and staring at the tv.

"I did too. She was Emily's best friend. Well- was." I said and she shrugs.

"She was a bitch." She says and walks off. "I'm going to take a shower. Watch whatever." She says walking away into a distance and leaving me in her living room to be alone.