prologue

prologue to secrets of rosewood 

Angela Rosewood was having a pleasant evening with her three children, the oldest, Jason, visiting from California. He was going to college there and loved it, his electric blue eyes brightening as the topic of school came up. Her two younger children, redheaded Natalie and orange haired Alexandria, had moved out and gotten a place together not too far from Angela. 

They had eaten a lovely dinner, talked about their new lives and what had been happening to them when a knock sounded at the door. Angela got up to see who it was, as her children munched on popcorn and continued playing their game. She opened the door to a group of 4 men, ragged and frightening in appearance, and Angela timidly said,

"What can I do for you, gentlemen?" The man in the middle looked at her, his eyes going completely black.

"You can invite us in for some tea."

Angela screamed, jumping back and Jason leapt up from the table, his sisters following. Before anyone had a chance to do anything, the black eyed man pulled out a gun and shot Angela in the chest. She gasped, thumping to the ground as Alex screamed, Natalie grabbing her as she started to run to their mother. Red blood pooled around her body, matching her hair. Jason sprinted to the man, punching his face and the man wasted no time in hitting him in the chest with his arm so hard Jason flew back, smacking the wall with a crack! Natalie and Alexandria rushed to him.

"Jason!" Alex shrieked. As she fell to his side, Natalie yelled, and Alex looked up to see black eyes grabbing her.

"Let go of me, let go!" Nat cried, the man laughing evilly. Alex looked from her mother's lifeless body to Jason's barely breathing one and up to her sister, tears starting to fall. Balling her hands into fists, she stood up. She was angry.

"Alexandria Jean Rosewood." The thing spat, not out of anger, in more of a mocking way. "No more blood needs to be spilled tonight. You have the power to save what little is left of your family if you come with us." Another black eyed thing stalked to Jason, grabbing him and holding him up as he started to wake. Blood trickled down the side of his shaggy brown hair and fell down his cheek, his eyes falling shut every so often, then opening again lazily. 

"Go with you... where?" Alex asked timidly.

"Alex, no!" Nat yelled, and another man hit her stomach at her captor's nod. Nat gasped, her dark eyes filling with the pain she must've been feeling, and the man who spoke looked at Alex again.

"Well?"

"I..." Alex stared at him, heart aching and mind racing. She was scared, her whole world had been torn apart. But... she knew she had no choice, her family would die if she didn't go with the horrible man.

Just then, Jason smacked his head back, hitting the other black eyed man holding him in the face. He wasn't in as bad condition as he seemed. The thing, taken in surprise, let go and Jason kicked him in the groin. Alex followed suit, fighting another of the men. The leader who held Alex's sister, threw Natalie to the third man waiting by the door and grabbed Jason by his long-ish hair. Jason cried out in pain, his wound starting to gush a little more. As Alex was thrown to the floor by the man she was fighting, the leader took the gun and pointed it at Jason's head.

"I guess I know your answer now." Glaring, he pulled the trigger, Natalie and Alex screaming in unison. Blood splattered over the room from Jason's head and his beautiful eyes grew large, the light fading from them as he died immediately.

"Jason! No!" Alex screamed, crawling to his side and cradling his body in her arms. The men started to leave, their leader pausing for a moment.

"You have a week to decide whether to join us or not. We're taking your sister with us and should you fail to come with us by the week's end, she will die like your mother and brother.." Alex stared at him, tears streaming down her cheeks as she held her dead brother. She was so angry and sad, it consumed her. "Make a smart decision. We'll will keep in touch." His eyes returned to their normal grey color and he strolled out the door. As soon as he left, she buried her face in Jason's chest, sobbing angrily.

"Why did you have to be a hero?" Alex wept to him. "Why did you both have to leave me here alone?"

For awhile she stayed there, sobbing into Jason's chest. The cops came and pulled her away from him, taking both Jason and Angela Rosewood to the morgue. Alexandria Rosewood was brought to her empty apartment by an officer, a man who talked to her the whole time, but she didn't hear him at all. As she sat on her bed, blue eyes nearly as lifeless as her dead family, thoughts of revenge filled her heart.

She didn't cry after that, not for a long time.