chapter 11

some new tunes and some old ones

When I walked downstairs hours later, I smelled something cooking. Apparently, Sam had started making tacos, but he had no idea where some of the ingredients were. As I passed Dean getting up from the couch I gave him a half smile, trying to make sure he knew I wasn't mad at him, and he nodded with a smirk. In the kitchen, Sam was bent over, looking in a cabinet much lower to the ground than he. We strolled into the room and were greeted by his butt being way up there, Dean chuckling at the sight.

Hearing us enter, Sam stood up much too fast. Accidentally smacking the counter, his hand hit the iPod that was attached to a speaker. To our shock, crazy in love by Beyoncé started to play. Everyone looked at each other, incredulous.

"Is that... Bobby's iPod?" Eyes wide, Sam looked at it, then back at us.

"Looks like he's a big fan of Beyoncé." Dean bent over and scrolled through the iPod, shock and amusement showing on his face as he looked through it. For a moment we listened to the song, then Dean and Sam let out their apparent laughter they had been holding back.

"Oh my god, Bobby!" Sam leaned on the counter, tears springing up in his eyes as he and Dean were in hysterics. I giggled a bit, but it wasn't nearly as funny without knowing who this Bobby was.

"Could you imagine if it was actually Rufus who liked this shit?" Dean whooped. "Look, He has both her albums on it!" Sam continued to laugh, wiping his tears away.

I watched the two of them smile and laugh, the image of my family doing the same fresh in my mind. It didn't hurt that much, the memory was bittersweet, but seeing two people I'd begun to look at as family being joyful together was good enough for me. There was only one thing missing: my sister.

Shrugging off the nostalgia, I went over to the two of them and playfully nudged Sam.

"So, are we making tacos or not?" Smiling as he stifled the rest of his giggles, he nodded.

"Of course, anyone want to listen to some spice girls while we make food?" Sam barely got the words out before Dean snorted. That got all of us laughing again, me included, because the sight of the Winchester brothers listening to spice girls or Beyoncé was much too funny. Not only that, I realized I really liked their laughs. For some reason, it made me feel almost as if I was at home.

We continued our merriment, making Mexican food and changing the music to more classic rock. I hadn't met anyone who listened to that much 80's rock besides my dad and Jason. It was nice to be around these boys, I decided. They reminded me of home.

"So, I have a plan." Dean mumbled through his massive bite of crunchy tortilla filled with mounds of beans, meat, cheese and spicy salsa. Immediately, I perked up and stared hopefully in his twinkling green eyes. After he finally swallowed his taco and followed it with a swig of beer, Dean smirked.

"Well?" Sam asked, as eager as I was for the answer to our predicament. I glanced his way and back at Dean, assuming my optimism was showing in my wide, blue eyes.

"We bring the demon back here and interrogate it, then, once he's given us the name of the place that Natalie is being held, we exorcise him and go there, guns blazing. We rescue Natalie, kill a bunch of demons and save the day. Problem solved." Triumphantly, Dean sat back in his chair and crossed his arms over his chest.

I frowned and looked at Sam.

"But... there's a really bad demon out there looking for me." I spoke, my voice slightly flat as my hope waned. "It'll come after Nat again until it has me. We can't assume that simply killing demons and saving Natalie will make this horror show stop, right?"