chapter 23

one last trip to that damn diner

We went up to our respective rooms after the evening fiasco. When I was back in the room, I went to the window to see the carnage. No matter how it may have seemed, it was still scary and I couldn't believe I nearly lost my sister for what seemed like the thousandth time.

I stood, watching through the glass as Dean and Sam piled the three bodies and burned them, watching the fire with slightly brazen faces.

"What're you doing, Allie?" I heard Nat ask behind me.

"N-nothing." Turning, I gave her a reassuring smile.

"Don't give me that crap. I know you're shaken up." She made a face. Slowly, I meandered to the bed Nat was sitting on, criss-crossing my legs when I plopped down beside her.

"Maybe I am." I shrugged, then leaned forward to look at her more closely. A large bruise was forming on her eye and a cut was next to it. Above the bruise her skin was badly swollen, and seemed to keep swelling. "Your face." Gently, I touched where she'd been punched. Natalie flinched, but didn't make a sound.

"It's fine."

"No, that demon hit you really, really hard." I frowned, angry at the demon, but also sort of curious. "Do you think-"

"Think what?" She asked. Before I could even answer, I pressed my hand to her face. My sister tried to pull away, but then we both realized something. "What did you..." She trailed off, her hand to her temple as she was now feeling where I'd touched her. It was completely healed.

"I can heal other people." I muttered, so in awe that I barely heard myself speak.

"Damnit." Nat mumbled. "I was looking forward to a shiner on my eye. Yknow, some evidence that I kicked ass tonight." She sounded slightly upset, but a smile was forming on her lips.

"Shut up." I chuckled.

"Nope." Grinned my sister.

"What were you doing outside in the first place?" I inquired quickly.

"I..." Nat stopped, looking down. "I was trying to forget." She whispered.

"Forget?"

"Mom." She murmured, turning her gaze to me, a terrible sadness lurking in her eyes. "Jason. Dad. Everything."

"Did..." I trailed off, worried about the answer to the question that was on the tip of my tongue. "Did the demons... did they... hurt you?" Barely breathing the last words, I peered at her, wanting to, but also desperately terrified to know.

"They..." Sighing, Natalie ran her hands through her hair. "They beat me, they cut me, but they didn't hurt me like that." She gave a small smile. "Though I definitely fought against them when they tried."

"You're the freaking coolest sister ever." Grinning, I hugged her tightly. "And I'm glad you're okay now. I couldn't ever imagine losing you." I whispered.

"I love you, Allie." Nat whispered back, pulling away and adding, "seriously though, I think I got the coolest sister ever." She winked.

I slept in the tiny bed with Natalie that night, not wanting to be away from her again.

The next day was a little weird. There was no stress about saving people, neither Sam nor Dean was talking to a fellow hunter on the phone or researching things on a computer. Everything was... oddly normal, but it felt so strange.