chapter 5

a dangerous  encounter

 We'd stayed in to eat dinner which Dean had made. It was actually pretty good. After the meal, I started to think again about the time we had left. 5 days. That wasn't a lot of time. I excused myself while Dean and Sam continued to talk about their 'plan', me worrying they didn't actually have one.

Instead of going upstairs, I slipped outside. I hoped nobody would follow me, though being alone isn't the best thing for emotionally unstable people. I slid to my butt on the porch above the first step, pulling my knees up to my chest.

Sitting there on the wooden porch, thinking of Nat and the possible horrible things that must've been happening to her, I rested my head on my knees, hugging them like my life depended on it. My dad dying years ago, mom, Jason, and now Nat, I'd lost them all. It crushed me to think about them, they meant everything and more.

Squeezing my eyes shut, I tried to block it out, but it was no use. My sister, my best friend, my other half, she was gone. It couldn't be happening, it just couldn't. My eyes watered for the first time since I watched the majority of my family die, but I didn't want to cry. Somehow it didn't even seem like I could. The door opened with a squeak and Dean plopped on the step next to me, sighing. He glanced over.

"Hey, you ok?"

"I'm fine." Replying in monotone, I answered him.

I wasn't sure what to make of the Winchesters, and I certainly didn't trust them totally yet, Dean especially. He reminded me of her, of Nat, but he wasn't really like her. I knew his type, I could read people enough to know a playboy when I saw one and I certainly wasn't going to be caught dead crying in front of him. He was flirty with me when I first met him, doing the same with most women, it was his first instinct and it disgusted me. Sam was... well, he was different. He was sweeter, softer and truly genuine. I found myself starting to like him for more than his amazingly good looks. From what I could tell, besides his deep friendship with his brother, Dean was only a handsome face, not much more.

That was why I didn't want to be the damsel in distress to Dean, I wouldn't let him in. I wouldn't let anyone in.

"Good." Dean looked straight ahead again and I studied him. He was definitely hot, but something else was showing through. It was as if he truly felt bad for me and wanted to help, but I couldn't be sure. What if he was just trying to pretend to be the nice guy to get in my pants? No matter what, I had to be careful.

We sat in deafening silence for a few minutes until I finally spoke.

"Look, Dean," he turned to observe me as I talked, and I gazed straight ahead at the sky starting to turn pink as the sun sank. "I know you're helping me find my sister, and I really am grateful, but don't get any other ideas." Now I turned to him, making sure I was clear. His green eyes were pretty, so pretty that they reminded me of Rapunzel's eyes from Tangled, and I resisted the urge to tell him that. "So get it in your head that I am only your friend until we find Natalie. Then we never see each other again and you and Sam can ride off into the sunset together to kill demons and unicorns, or whatever."

"That was the plan from the get-go." Dean smirked, and I tried my hardest not to smack the grin off his face. When I was upset and didn't want to show it, I grew a bit angry with the people around me, especially a stranger who almost witnessed me cry.

"Good, then you get the picture. Neither me or Nat will have anything to do with you in the future."

"Yeah, I get the picture. I don't know if you know this, Rosewood, but I'm not really a keep in touch kinda guy."