Chapter 18 | caring

You've been pretty on edge now that you know someone's been following you it's even worse knowing it's your goddamn killer. Which is why you can't sleep, you've been lying in your bed for ages just staring at the roof, feeling like someone is watching you. It got to the point where you couldn't take it, so you decided to go see Adrian. You got up and looked downstairs to see he wasn't there, meaning he was probably in bed already. You walked over to his room and knocked on the door before entering. You found him reading a book by candle light with his hair tied back.

"(Y/n)? Are you ok?" He asked.

You closed the door behind him and shyly walked over to him.

"I can't sleep... I feels like someone is watching me..." you said.

He put his book down and opened his arms for a hug. You climbed into bed and wrapped your arms around him, he held you tightly and pulled the blankets over you.

"You're so tense..." he said in a worried tone.

"I'm scared... scared that the killer will find me and try to kill me again..." you said, shakily.

You felt his hands run through your hair in an attempt to soothed you.

"Nothing will hurt you (y/n), I won't let them. My death scythe is under my bed, if anyone tries to take you from me I can end them in seconds"

You took a breath and tried to calm down, but there was a sudden crash outside that made you jump and burry your face in his shirt.

"Hey, it was probably just a cat, you're ok (y/n)" he said, obviously very worried about you.

"I-I know, that just made me j-jump"

There was a moment of silence.

"Let's take your mind off things, tell me about your life when you were alive, you've never said anything about it" he said.

You looked up and him as he smiled at you and then rested your head on his chest.

"Well I lived on the streets, but I wasn't insanely poor. I just couldn't afford a house that's all, I had a little hide out so I was ok with my situation. Some night were scary, when drunk people would come and try to lure people to them or when a killer was on the loose it was scary. It was times like those I'd sit outside the theatre and listen to the plays or the musicals they were performing"

Adrian listened to every word without objection.

"-the amount of times I've heard the lines to lady of the lake is incredible. I also remember very song from every musical that's come so far. Of course I've never been inside the theatre, but sitting outside down the side of the building was good enough for me, I could still hear the play. It... calmed me I guess"

You did end up feeling calmer as you talked, knowing that Adrian was right there and listening to all you had to say.

"So you were ok with the life you had? Even though you were on the streets?" He asked.

"Yeah, I did have money, just no house. I was ok with that considering I was alive and healthy. But in a way I'm glad I died and left that life behind, because I never would have ended up here"

"I guess that was the one benefit to you dying huh?"

"Yeah. Actually, I have known about you for a while before I met you. Since you're the only undertaker on this side of the town, I'd overhear people talking about taking their dead to you. I actually walked past this place a few times and wondered what's inside, and why everyone was always laughing. Although I doubt I'd ever have met you if it weren't for me dying" you explained.

"So in a way dying was a good thing" he said.

"Yeah you could say that"

Suddenly there was another crash, making you jump and tense up again, you quickly looked around the room to make sure no one but you and Adrian was there.

"It's ok, it was probably just a cat again" Adrian reassured, gently rubbing your back to calm you down.

"Yeah I know... t-that just startled me"

"You know, it's late, we should probably get some sleep"

"Yeah, probably"

He blew out the candles and pulled you closer in his arms, keeping you near him and keeping you protected.

"Goodnight, I love you" you said.

"Goodnight, I love you too" he replied.

With those words it began to rain, the sound of rain on the roof seeming to lull you to sleep, keeping you in a calm state.

Although Adrian was still wide awake, staring to worry about your safety even more. He started off out the window with the curtains half open that looked over the streets of London, the famous bridge in the distance, all the houses and shops that were still lit up illuminated the dark night atmosphere. He started out that window for ages, just worrying about your safety. He was broken from his thoughts by you suddenly shifting in your sleep, and your breathing getting faster.

You must have been having a nightmare.

He pulled you back into the hug you'd broken from when you moved and gently ran his fingers through your hair, trying to calm you down, but none of it was working.

It was then he remembered what you'd said a few hours ago, about sitting outside the theatre and listing to the music, keeping you clam.

Even if you were asleep it was worth a shot.

"London bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down. London bridge of falling down, my fair lady"

His words must have gotten through to you as he repeated them, since you calmed back down after a while.

Smiling down at you, he decided he should probably try and sleep as well. He kisses your forehead and bought you in closer before closing his eyes and trying to fall asleep.