prologue

1971
England, Great Britain

"Mum! James is being a downright git!" I complained to my mother, Euphemia, as I pulled my luggage down the stairs

"Mum! James is being a downright git!" I complained to my mother, Euphemia, as I pulled my luggage down the stairs. My mum only smiled and rolled her eyes. She was older than most and it was a shock for her to get pregnant at all, let alone with fraternal twins.

"James, grab your sisters wand, don't be a git. Genevieve, stop whining or you'll get no chocolates for the train." My brother and I both complied to our mothers wishes. My idiot twin tossed me my beautiful wand. It was twelve and 3/4 inches long, made out of dogwood, and had a phoenix feather as a core. It had beautiful vines etched into the wood. I adored it entirely.

It was going to be our first day to attend Hogwarts. James and I have been talking about it nonstop for months. We practically dragged mum and dad to Diagon Alley for our supplies. I checked my suitcase for all of my belongings. After checking for everything, I picked up Poppy's cage and stood by our fireplace. Poppy chirped softly as I stroked her white feathers.

"Alright everybody, you know the drill." My dad, Fleamont, announced. We nodded and prepared to take the floo network to the station.

*

"Are you nervous, Genny?" My brother whispered to me as we trailed behind mum and dad at the train station. I shrugged indifferently. "I just hope I'm not in Slytherin." James began to act as if he was offended. "You're not even worried that we'll be separated?!" He mocked jokingly. I laughed, "Oh, James, I could never be that lucky." My twin snickered and pushed me gently.

We all came through the platform and stood in awe at the train. Excitement bubbled inside of me. I have been begging mum for years to tell me about Hogwarts but she wanted me to experience it, not learn about it. Mum and dad knew that James would be sorted into Gryffindor but with me they drew a blank. Mum always said I had strong characteristics from each house. So, truthfully, I'm anxious.

I looked to my mum whom I'd always been close with, tears brimmed her eyes. She pulled me in for a hug and smoothed my hair. She pulled away and held my face gently. "Genevieve, no matter where you're sorted you will always be a Potter." She reassured with a small smile. I smiled back and nodded. I then looked to my father who instantly swept me off of my feet.

"Dad! Put me down! James is going to embarrass me enough, not you too!" I yelled while struggling in his grip and giggling. Dad let out a hearty laugh and finally set me down before scrubbing my hair. I groaned and began smoothing it back down. I looked to James and nodded, we needed to board the Hogwarts Express.

*

"Hi, um, can I sit with you? I can't seem to find my brother." I muttered shyly to a girl about my age with bright red hair and captivating green eyes. She paused from reading her book and smiled kindly while nodding. I entered the compartment and sat across from her.

I stuck out my hand, "Genevieve Potter but you can call me Gen." I introduced proudly. She stuck out her hand and shook mine. "Lily Evans."

"Are you excited? I've been talking about Hogwarts with my parents ever since I could remember." I gushed as I pulled one of my books.

"I had no idea I was even a witch, so this all is very exciting. But I'm also somewhat nervous." She confided.

"Are your parents muggles?" She nodded.

"Wicked! Can you tell me about the muggle world?" I sat on the edge of my seat, intrigued. Lily Evans told me about movies, non-moving photos, muggle stories, and life without magic. It was an amazing beginning to a lifelong friendship.

*

"Hey, I'm gonna go find my brother and get him to change into his robes otherwise he won't do it." I said to Lily who had already changed as I did. She nodded and began munching on some candy she had bought from the trolley.

After looking in about six compartments, I finally found James sitting with three other boys. I slid open the door swiftly, causing all of the boys to snap up to me.

"James, one, you're a git for leaving me. Two, Change into your robes." I commanded staring at my twin as I counted on my fingers until I noticed the other boys in their common clothes. "You guys should as well." I added with a shrug.

James was unfazed by my bossiness but the other boys' mouths were agape at how quickly things transpired.

One of the boys who had long, dark hair nudged my twin, "James, mate, who's she?" I stared at the boy.

"Genevieve." My brother and I answered in unison. We both then drastically rolled our eyes. We HATED when we spoke in unison. It was weird and everybody flips out when it happens.

"She's my twin." James muttered to the guys. "Gen, this is Sirius Black, Peter Pettigrew, and Remus Lupin." Sirius was the dark haired boy, Peter had the face of a rat, and Remus was quiet but he seemed polite.

"Nice to meet you, boys. I'll be going now." I said pointing my finger out the compartment. Remus looked up at me with a small smile, "It was nice to meet you also, Genevieve." I smiled at Remus, he seemed sweet. I exited the compartment and prepared myself for what was to come.

*

All of the first years were waiting to get sorted into our house. I stood alongside Lily and a boy with jet black hair and dark eyes named Severus Snape who had met Lily before the train. Lily looked as pale as I did. Names were being called off and Severus was called up. He got Slytherin immediately. Lily smiled sweetly at him before turning back towards the front.

"James Potter."

I stared at my brother knowing exactly which house he would be in. The sorting hat rested on his head for four seconds before announcing Gryffindor. He smiled and joined the three boys whom he had met on the train.

"Genevieve Potter."

My heart sped up as I glanced to Lily fearfully who gave me a reassuring nod. I slowly walked towards the front. Everyones eyes were on me. I took in a deep breath and sat on the stool. The sorting hat was slowly placed on my head.

"Well! Another Potter! So much like your twin but also so very... different. What to do with you?" The hat pondered. I sat feeling like I was sweating bullets as the entire hall stared at me expectingly.

"Bravery suited for a Gryffindor. Loyalty and kindness matching a Hufflepuff, yes. A strong thirst for knowledge matching the likeness of a Ravenclaw. And the cunningness of a Slytherin. Yes. But where to put you?" He questioned once more.

"Not Slytherin." I begged thinking of James and Lily. I wanted to be with them. The sorting hat paused before shouting, "Gryffindor!"

My face instantly broke out into a smile and I ran towards the Gryffindor table and sat next to my twin who gave me a high-five.

"Blimey, James, wait till I tell mum and dad!"

The next person up was Lily. She got Gryffindor as well! She skipped to our table and sat beside me.

"Lily, this is my twin, James." I introduced as I leaned back so the two could exchange greetings. Dumbledore began the feast and each student piled various amounts of food onto their plates.

I couldn't wait to make a load new friends.