xi. the test

December 19th, 1977
Monday
Great Hall, Hogwarts Castle
10:57 am

"Have you heard? Three more muggles have been murdered since Thursday along with two half-bloods

"Have you heard? Three more muggles have been murdered since Thursday along with two half-bloods. Can you believe it? This close to Christmas?" Remus informed while staring at the daily prophet.

"It's tragic. He must be stopped soon!" Marlene exclaimed while shaking her head. Remus thumbed her cheek lovingly.

I stared at my empty plate while rubbing my stomach. Sirius glanced at my plate and noticed how empty it was.

"Are you alright, kitten?" He asked worriedly while feeling my forehead to see if I was ill or not. I nodded.

"Yeah. Yeah, of course. It just makes me sick that he's doing all of this." I lied while shaking my head. Sirius pursed his lips and kissed my forehead.

"It'll be alright, Genny." He reassured while rubbing my back comfortingly.

I couldn't fake it much longer. I had to know. I've been putting it off for so long. But I can't tell anybody. It would make me look horrid.

I sighed deeply and stood from the bench. I kissed Sirius's cheek softly before muttering, "I'll see you lot in Charms." The group all nodded before continuing their conversation that I didn't pay any mind to.

I headed towards the girls bathroom on the second floor. The one bathroom no student ever goes in. Moaning Myrtle's bathroom.

I stepped into the empty and somewhat grimy bathroom. Ever since Myrtle's death, she's haunted this bathroom in particular, since it's where she died.

I carefully pulled out the small test that was tucked into my skirt waist band. I could hardly breathe. I can't be.

I sat on the toilet and carefully read the instructions. I had to wait three minutes before the results would appear. Hell, muggle tests are quite unique.

I bit my bottom lip and exited the stall, staring into the dirty mirror. My hands were shaking from the nerves. I turned on the faucet and splashed some cold water on my face. I'll be fine. Everything will be fine.

"Well, looks like somebody is nearly as miserable as I am." A high pitched voice announced. I looked back into the mirror to see Myrtle's ghost hovering above the stall.

"Yeah, nearly." I muttered half-heartedly while looking down into the drain of the sink. She gasped loudly and I spun around to face her.

"What's this? Did Genevieve Potter give into Sirius Black?" She mocked, her pitch even higher than before. Tears brimmed my eyes as my face got hot.

"Please, Myrtle... I'm asking you to please k-keep this a secret." I begged while sniffling. She crossed her arms in a rebellious manner.

"And why should I?"

"B-because... that's what friends do." I mumbled hopefully.

Her ghostly arms fell limp at her side. A strange expression was on her face. It was as if she was hearing a foreign language for the first time. Her head was cocked to the side, analyzing my words. The next expression on her face was even stranger. Her face began to contort into a manner that looked uncomfortable and awkward, as if she hasn't used these facial muscles in eons. In a pained and forced way, Myrtle was actually smiling.

"Sure, Genevieve. Your secret will be safe with me and my stall." She said proudly while nodding before diving into the toilet and disappearing.

I sighed heavily. I can do this. I approached the stall hesitantly. The test taunting me. The results beckoning me.

I had to know.

I slowly pushed the door open and gazed onto the test. Two faint pink lines stared back at me.

My hand flew over my mouth as I sobbed silently. This can't be real. This can't be true.

I-I'm pregnant.

I'm two months pregnant.

I rubbed my stomach gingerly. A baby.

"This'll be our little secret, little one. Just for awhile. I'll tell him soon... I promise." I whispered as the tears fell.

Fear has taken over my life. With Voldemort at an all time high and a... baby on the way, I don't even know where to begin.

"Gen?" A voice called from the bathroom door, I spun around to find Lily peeking in.

"Lily! What are you doing in here!?" I questioned while quickly wiping away my tears.

"What am I doing in here? I followed you after you left because you looked ill. I had to make sure you were okay." She explained. Her eyes widened at the object in my hand. "Gen, w-what's going on?" She asked softly.

I couldn't hold it together anymore. After over a month of keeping up the facade, I started bawling. I covered my face and wailed. People most likely thought it was just Myrtle at it again. But no, it was me. I felt pathetic.

"Gen! Gen, it's okay! It'll be okay." Lily reassured as she moved my hands from my face and wiped my tears. I sniffled softly and shook my head.

"You weren't supposed to know. Nobody was supposed to know. It was supposed to be our secret!" I exclaimed while gesturing to my stomach.

Lily inhaled and exhaled sharply. "I'm your best friend. You know I won't tell a soul. Better yet, how about we exchange, yeah? I'll tell you a secret of mine." I nodded slowly in response.

"James and I... we've been dating for a week."

I gasped softly and enveloped her into a tight hug. "I can't believe it! I'm so happy for you!" I exclaimed while wearing a large grin.

"It's been so hard to keep him from shouting it from the rooftops but I think it's been even harder keeping it from you." She confessed while smiling. "And you know what? We know each other's secrets. And I can help you with this. We'll get through it, together."

Tears brimmed my eyes once more. I don't know if I'm overly emotional because my best friend is the most amazing person in the world, or because I'm pregnant. Either way, things will be okay.

We'll be okay.

A/N-
Surprise! Gen is pregnant! And wow I have quite a few reads for this story. That's incredible! And I promise there is more in store! Love you all & enjoy!
Vote & comment please!!
Xxx