xx. hope

September 23rd, 1978
Infirmary

Distant, garbled voices echo around me

Distant, garbled voices echo around me. I can't make out the words. Pain courses through my body causing me to inhale sharply. After a moment, the pain dulls and my eyes flutter open.

Blurred figures slowly come into view. Sirius, Lily, and James are staring down at me, worry brimming their eyes.

"Christ, Gen!" James exclaims as he pulls me into a tight hug that causes me to wince slightly. After realizing that he was hurting me, he slowly pulled away. "You scared me half to death."

"W-what do you mean? What happened?" I asked quietly. My voice sounded soft, barely above a whisper. It was croaky and dry.

"Death Eaters attacked. Nobody knows how they knew about the wedding but they came. Almost everyone disapparated safely."

"Almost everyone?" I asked, my voice strained.

My three friends looked everywhere but at me. Like they could barely handle the news themselves. I could feel the lump growing in my throat.

"Marlene tried to disapparate home but one of death eaters caught her. T-the ministry found her and her family's bodies just this morning." Lily muttered while sniffling. Her beautiful green eyes shining with fresh tears.

"Moony is at the ministry now trying to figure out which death eater it was." James explained further, his voice low.

It felt as if a knot had been tied around my heart. Mar... my best friend... dead. The girl who always did everything she could to make me feel beautiful. The girl who wasn't afraid of anything except love. The girl who just wanted to make everyone feel happy and accepted. The tears flowed down my cheeks as I stared dead ahead. That girl is gone.

Because of them.

I tightened my fists, ignoring the pain that coursed through me. I wasn't going to let them take anybody from me again.

"Kitten." Sirius's low, gravelly voice beckoned, snapping me out of my trance. I could finally see his face. Bags and dark circles were apparent under his dull grey eyes. His face was scruffy and unkept like he could barely handle himself.

"I'm so sorry. H-how are you feeling?" He asked slowly, careful on each word. His eyes traveled to my stomach before catching my eyes once more. Something was wrong.

"I-I'm okay. I mean-there's a little pain but for the most part I'm okay. Why? What happened?" I asked, the words flowing out of my mouth so quickly, my brain could hardly keep up.

Sirius stayed composed but I could see how broken he was. His lips parted as if he was going to speak but he quickly closed them, making them tight across his solemn face.

"Genny..." James began softly. "One of the Death Eaters hit you with the cruciatus curse. It was only a couple of seconds before Sirius hexed them but..." His voice trailed.

My hands shakily traveled to my stomach. No. Please. Not again.

"No." I whispered, my voice broken and choppy.

Lily immediately placed her hand on my forearm. Her bright eyes fierce and sharp.

"We don't know, Gen. Dumbledore is creating a potion that should allow us to find out but for right now... all we can do is hope."

A shaky breath escaped my parted lips. God, stay with me. Please, stay.

As if on cue, Dumbledore entered the room holding a  small vial containing a purple liquid. His wise face seemed more solemn then usual. As if the attack was weighing on him more than any other person at the wedding.

"Genevieve. Drink this slowly. It may cause some discomfort but it'll reveal if the child's heart is still beating."

Those words.

Dumbledore had a way of speaking so politically but making it seem so compassionate all at once. I gingerly took the small vial before scanning the room. Sirius instantly rushed to me and took my other hand before kissing it softly. I took in a deep breath before throwing my head back and downing the vial completely.

My muscles immediately tensed. My heartbeat slowed in my chest, getting quieter, more faint. Dumbledore immediately placed his hand onto my stomach. Silence filled the room. Everyone was holding their breaths.

Finally. A soft heartbeat echoed through the small room. A sob escaped my lips as I gripped at my stomach. My baby was okay. They were okay.

Sirius released my hand and laid his head on my stomach before laughing gleefully. My heart swelled at the sight. Lily and James embraced each other as they all laughed, relieved that my baby was okay.

She survived.

I don't know how I knew but I knew. She's a girl. My strong little girl.

"Sirius." I say suddenly, drawing his attention to me. "I know what I want to name her."

This peaks his interest. His pale face is revived with color and a smile tugs on his lips that he cannot hide.

"What do you want to name her, kitten?"

I look to Lily for a moment. Her voice echoing in my head.

"Hope. I want to name her Hope Phoenix Black." I say aloud, a smile tugging on my lips as I rub my stomach gently. Sirius grinned before kissing my forehead.

(mini authors note: i don't care if you don't like the name. don't be fucking rude. k? thanks.)

"It's perfect, love. Although, I'm still holding out for a boy."

I rolled my eyes in annoyance. My friends, my family. Although my little Hope was okay, my heart ached for Remus and Mar.

And I knew I wanted to fight for them.

A/N-
Baby Hope and Gen are okay! She'll be due soon! I hope you guys enjoy this slightly happier chapter.
Vote & comment!!
Xxx