xxv. loss

October 31st, 1981
11:59 pm

My necklace burned the skin on my chest as my heart pounded

My necklace burned the skin on my chest as my heart pounded. I grunted and kicked in the front door to my brothers home.

I clutched my chest as I fell to my knees at the sight of my twin brother. He lay sprawled on the stairs, the usual twinkle in his eyes gone. Only blank, pale hazel eyes fixated on the ceiling remained. I let out a bloodcurdling scream as I sobbed at the sight of his lifeless body. It felt as if someone had cut a piece of my heart out with a butter knife.

I crawled towards his body and clutched him to me. I couldn't lose him. My daughter couldn't lose him. Her uncle... My twin.

I kissed his forehead and smoothed his unruly brown hair. I gently removed his glasses in order to close his eyes before placing them back on. My eyes traveled down to the ring on his limp right hand. The ring that was linked to the necklace clasped around my neck. I flinched at how cold his hand felt as I carefully slid the ring off of him.

"I love you, James. I will always love you." I sobbed. I could barely breathe but I ascended the stairs. I had to check on Lily and Harry. I noticed the light on in Harry's room along with debris littering the entrance.

My heart sunk. No. Not Lily and Harry, too. I hesitantly opened the door to find Lily laying beside Harry's crib. Her eyes were as vacant as my brothers and the usual light in her was gone. That warm, compassionate aura. My best friend... my sister in law. I moved her hair out of her face and rubbed her cheek softly. I had loved her like a sister.

"If anything is to happen to us, take care of Harry. You and Sirius, please. You're his godparents." Her voice echoed in my head. I exhaled sharply and nodded before standing.

I grabbed Harry who was crying as hard as I. A fresh lightning shaped scar resided on his forehead. "Shh..." I cooed as the tears fell down my face. "I've got you, Harry. Aunt Gen's got you. We're going to go play with Birdie okay?" I descended down the stairs, avoiding looking at James. I couldn't.

Before exiting the Potter home, I stopped. I tried to blink back the tears that were dead set on falling. I sniffled and breathed in deeply.

"I promise I will take care of him. I will keep him safe with my life. I love you both, always."

I exited through the front door and never looked back. Determination filled me although the tears still fell. Peter Pettigrew will pay with his life for the lives of my family. Any Death Eater I cross will pay with their life.

I held onto Harry tightly who'd thankfully stopped crying. His tiny hands were tangled into my hair. I grabbed my broom that I had discarded on the sidewalk and mounted it, flying higher. Harry started giggling and clapping his hands. I sniffled as a small smile crept onto my face. He'll be so much like James.