xiii. secrets

January 23, 1978
Infirmary

Genevieve Potter's eyes fluttered open

Genevieve Potter's eyes fluttered open. A soft groan escaped her lips, her entire body aching and sore. She tried to speak but her dry throat prevented her from making a sound. She peered around to see multiple flowers and sweets surrounding her bed, her lips upturning slightly at the sight.

"H-hello?" She uttered, her voice deeper and more guttural than usual. Upon hearing her, Madam Pomfrey nearly sprinted in the room with a cup that wasn't water but in fact a tonic. Once Gen sipped the tonic, she was surprised to find that it was sweet and warm. The ache in her muscles diminished and a calming warmth spread through her body.

"W-what... happened?" She questioned, still regaining her voice that hadn't been in use for a week. Madam Pomfrey's face was crestfallen.

"My sweet dear, you were poisoned. And it should have killed you but you fell into a deep coma. You were out for a week!" She exclaimed.

At this moment, Sirius Black began to enter through the infirmary door with a bouquet in hand. He'd brought them everyday for Gen and he swore he would until she woke. At the sound of her voice, he paused, shock filling him and large grin overtaking his face.

"But Ms. Potter..." Madam Pomfrey continued, her voice shaking slightly. Tension filling the air, tears pricked at the young teen's eyes as if she already knew of the news.

"The poison caused you to miscarry. I'm so sorry, my dear." Madam Pomfrey informed regretfully. She had tried her best to save the girl and the child, both too young to die. Genevieve erupted in loud, broken sobs. Her hand flying over her mouth as the tears streamed down her face. She felt empty and broken.

Sirius watched the sight with horror on his face. Madam Pomfrey's words still processing in his head. "A miscarriage? A baby?" He thought to himself. He tightened his jaw and set the bouquet of pink roses onto the stool beside the door, before walking out and not looking back.

Gen's POV

After crying for two hours, I have no tears left. The dull pain lingering from the poison was nothing compared to the emptiness I felt. I felt numb inside. It was like his loss left an endless black void.

The sound of voices made me sit up straight and wipe away the dried tears on my face. Fire red hair greeted me first. Lily had a forlorn look on her face. I bit my bottom lip hard to keep myself from sobbing again. I hate crying in front of people. I watched a solitary tear slide down her porcelain face for only a moment, before she quickly wiped it away.

My twin came bounding into the room wearing a toothy grin. Marlene, Remus, and Peter filed in after. I furrowed my brows in confusion. Where's Sirius?

James noticed something by the door and picked up a bouquet of white roses. "Hey, Genny, I think these are from Padfoot."

What if he heard? Bloody hell.