xxiii. the prophecy

December 13th, 1980

I stared at the headstone in front of me

I stared at the headstone in front of me. It was still clean. Fresh white roses where placed atop the grass where she rested. A solitary tear slid down my pale, cold cheek.

"Birdie and Harry are so big now. Birdie can say certain words and Harry is standing and crawling on his own. Sirius already bought him his first broomstick." I let out a dry laugh before sniffling.

"Remus is doing okay. He misses you like hell. But Birdie often keeps him occupied. Hell, James even gets jealous since she likes him more." I paused a moment, taking in a deep breath. "We miss you. Mar."

I felt two arms wrap around my waist, knowing instantly it was Sirius. I ran my hand along his forearm, breathing in his scent that always calmed me.

"Mummy!"

I turned, pulling from Sirius to see my daughter running towards us, a large grin on her face. I quickly mirrored her expression, careful not to let her see the tears. When I cry, she cries.

"Hello, my love! Are you ready to play with Harry?" I asked excitedly.

Birdie nodded vigorously and outstretched her tiny hands towards me, indicating that she wanted to be held, which I happily obliged.

I felt Sirius's hand touch the small of my back, "Let's go, my loves."

*

We arrived at the Potter home only to find my idiot twin chasing Remus while tiny Harry giggled atop his shoulders. Lily sat in the loveseat trying to contain her amusement while Peter sat silently in the far side of the kitchen.

"Moon!" Little Bird exclaimed excitedly at the sight of Remus. Remus instantly turned to her and swooped her into his arms, spinning her while she laughed gleefully. I swear, she loves him more than anyone else.

"We have the order meeting today." Peter reminded from the kitchen, his face twitching slightly. All the faces in the room became solemn as if the happiness was drained from a dementor. James nodded, pursing his lips.

"I'll stay with the kids. You lot go." Remus muttered while gesturing towards the front door.

I let out an audible sigh as I make my way towards Remus and Birdie. I plant a gentle kiss on her cheek. Sirius pinches her other cheek before sneaking a kiss onto her nose, causing her to erupt in a fit of giggles. My heart warmed at the sight of them.

"Go?" Birdie asked softly, a sad look in her large hazel eyes. I nodded, pursing my lips.

"We'll be home soon, Little Bird. But for now, you and Harry get to play with Mooney, yeah?"