iii. death eaters

December 18th, 1976
Hogwarts Castle

"OF COURSE YOU HAVE TO GO!" Marlene screeched as we walked to Potions, a few students glanced at us inquisitively

"OF COURSE YOU HAVE TO GO!" Marlene screeched as we walked to Potions, a few students glanced at us inquisitively. I rolled my eyes in annoyance.

I had told Mar and Lily about the letter I'd received almost a week ago, they both agreed I should go to the tower. Tonight was the night of the dance and I was getting cold feet.

"It could be anybody! What if it's Malfoy trying to play a prank?" I reasoned. "Plus, why doesn't he just meet me at the party?"

"Because he wants to meet you in private, Genny. He wouldn't want to tell you his feelings in front of a load of other people." Lily offered logically. I sighed. She was probably right. I could always rely on Lily's renowned wisdom.

"Fine, I'll go." I conceded reluctantly. Marlene jumped and giggled excitedly. "As long as Mar talks to Remus and Lily comes with me to Professor Horace's slug club party. I don't have a date."

Marlene went pale but conceded to my wishes. "If things go well tonight, you may not need me for slug club." Lily said as she nudged me playfully.

"Oh, piss off." I grumbled only half-serious.

7:15pm

"Just let me do your makeup!" Marlene begged. I sat down grumpily and allowed her to do whatever she wished. I was slightly scared that she would make me totally unsightly. But once I looked in the mirror, I was actually pleasantly surprised. My skin was smooth, my eyelashes looked longer and fuller, my lips were plump and a soft red colour, my eyelids were a soft brown, and a sweet blush resided on my cheeks. She did an incredible job.

"Okay, I'm getting dressed by myself." I murmured to the girls. I slipped on my beautiful black cocktail dress and white buckled heels. Once I checked my reflection, I inhaled deeply. I can do this.

I walked out to the girls and we all gasped at each other's appearance. Marlene's beautiful blonde hair was braided to the side as she wore a fitted, blood red cocktail dress with white platforms. Lily put her gorgeous long locks into an updo and wore a beautiful green cocktail dress that flared at the bottom with black heels.

I smiled at the girls. We all locked arms and headed down from the girls dormitory to the Gryffindor common room. The common room was enchanted to look like snow was falling, but never landing. Beautiful northern lights shined overhead.

My eyes locked on to James whose mouth was agape at the sight of Lily. I smiled. They'll end up together... in time.

I then noticed Marlene's gaze on Remus who, of course, looked handsome as ever. She was biting her lip nervously. I didn't catch a glimpse of Sirius which was somewhat shocking, since he's always the life of the party. I guess he's busy shagging some poor girl. I looked to Wormtail who was standing somewhat close to James. Wormtail admired the three other boys, although I'm not quite sure why.

We descended the steps and James immediately pushed his way through to us.

"Evans!" He gasped. "Y- you look incredible." He stumbled, too captivated at the sight of her. Lily smiled softly and thanked him before heading towards a Hufflepuff girl that I didn't know.

"What about me, James? Do I look "incredible" as well?" I asked semi-jokingly.

"Yeah. Sure, sis, you look grand." He said dismissively without making eye contact. I rolled my eyes dramatically and turned to Mar giving her a look that said "do-you-see-what-I've-had-to-put-up-with-since-I-was-in-the-womb?"

"Let's go say hello to Remus, shall we, Mar?" I questioned with a wink. She nodded hesitantly. We wadded through the crowd of students to Remus who was standing against the wall, observing the party from the outside. Such a wallflower.

"Hey, Moony!" I greeted happily. He smiled when he noticed Mar and I.

"Hello, Cloudy. Marlene." He greeted.

"You know, Remus, Marlene was just asking me about Professor Sprout's assignment but since I'm not taking herbology, I've no clue. Do you think you could help her out?" I prompted sneakily. Remus nodded and began discussing the assignment with Marlene. I giggled at my cleverness.

I noticed Molly Prewett whom I'd always liked but never really talked to. She was very sweet and kind. I decided to chat her up.

"Hi, Molly!" I greeted with a sweet grin. She smiled at me happily. "Hello, Genevieve."

"Genevieve is so formal! You can call me Gen... or Genny, whichever is fine." I offered sweetly. I don't really like to be called Genevieve unless it's by my parents, Dumbledore, or strangers.

"Genny..." She mumbled thoughtfully. "I love that name." She exclaimed finally snapping out of her thoughts. I looked past her to see Arthur Weasley steal a few glances of her. I smiled at the thought of the couple.

"I'll catch up with you in a little, Molly, I've got somewhere to be." I muttered politely as I checked the time. It was 11:30 pm.

I grabbed a firewhisky that was nearby in the hopes that it would calm my nerves. As I downed it, I felt my throat burn in a pleasant way. Due to my small frame, it doesn't take a lot of alcohol to get influenced. Thankfully, I was feeling less nervous.

I took the invisibility cloak that my twin and I shared and treaded stealthily through the empty corridors. As I made my way to the top of the tower, I heard a load of unfamiliar voices. I was almost to the top when I stopped and hid under the stairs. I carefully slid out my wand, ready to hex. Of course the note was a prank. I knew it was too good to be true.

There were a number of hooded figures. They stood around two students that were hoodless. One looked like a first year, the other looked as if he may have been in his fifth year. One distinct feature I noticed about the fifth year was his thick, long black hair. It was Regulus Black, Sirius's little brother.

"Do it, Black! The Dark Lord does not accept those who do not follow his commands." A familiar voice pressured. That voice belonged to a human that I despised... Lucius Malfoy. Dark Lord? I suppressed a gasp. This was no prank. They were followers of Voldemort.

I looked at the younger student, fear was etched onto his face and tears rolled down his cheeks. Regulus stood tall and emotionless, his wand pointed at the young boy, whose wand lay discarded and broken. What the hell are they planning?

"Avada-"

"Expelliarmus!" I yelled instinctively as I raised my wand, causing Regulus's wand to fly out of his hand and over the edge of the tower.

Regulus stared at his free hand in shock. The hooded figures turned to face me, their wands drawn and ready. One of the "Death Eaters" pulled back his hood, it was, of course, Malfoy. The slimy toad.

"Genevieve Potter." Malfoy said thoughtfully as he stepped forward, ripping my wand from my hand. "You're not supposed to be here." I stayed silent. I looked to the boy who stood petrified. I locked eyes with his tear filled ones and glanced at my cloak under the stairs. He nodded, a silent understanding passed between us, and he slowly maneuvered through the figures who had their eyes on me. He had to get out of here.

"Well, Black, I suppose you'll get two kills tonight." Lucius smirked. Regulus moved through the members, one of which I made eye contact with. I'd recognize those cold, sad eyes anywhere. Snape... He'd joined them also.

Regulus stepped forward, wand raised. I sucked in a sharp breath, preparing for the worst. The only way I'm getting out of this is if that boy gets help, which most likely won't be in time. I squeezed my eyes shut tightly.

"Avada Ked-"

"Stop!"