Chapter 2

2-Sharks Are Born Swimming

Kara wipes the tears from her eyes as she stands before her mirror wishing her father was with her today.  She has an appointment with Hurst Incorporated to discuss the buyout of her building.  

She opens the heavy ornate double doors made of mostly glass with a swerved brass door handle.  Inside is a bar full of marble and etched glass that goes from one end of the large room to the other taking up most of the space.  She tentatively takes a few steps inside looking at her surroundings.  

“Good afternoon Ms. Santino.”  Kara swings around to find two men are coming toward her dressed in impeccable dark suits.  One of them holds out his hand as soon as he reaches her. 

The handsome man in front of her with arresting blue eyes smiles.   His handshake is strong, his fingers caress her palm as he holds on to her hand longer than she likes.  “I’m sorry we were not here to greet you when you arrived. I’m Aaron Hurst and this is my cousin Lester Hurst, if you’ll have a seat we will get started.” 

Kara shakes Lester’s hand then sits at the table behind her.  Aaron Hurst ogles her legs as she crosses them.  She realizes she has made her first mistake by not setting at a table that covers her up.  She can’t let herself get caught up on his handsome face.  She already knows all the tricks of using your looks to get what you want.  She watched her mother do it for years. 

Lester Hurst is also a handsome man.  His grey eyes twinkle as he watches how cautious she is.  He hands her a folder with the contract information they are offering while Aaron continues to talk.  She listens to his pitch while flipping through the folder noticing the replacement space for Santino’s they are offering her is actually this one. 

When Aaron’s done with his pitch he smiles that million dollar smile she’s sure many a woman has melted over but it doesn’t faze her.  She feels insulted.  His company must think they can swoop down on her to take her building while offering not even the peanuts but the shells the offer is so far below what she expected. 

“We will be happy to show you around.”  Lester tells her when he sees the serious look on her face.  He thinks Aaron is in for a surprise, he read her file, this young woman knows how to play poker he’s sure. 

“No thank you.”  Kara directs a smile to Lester then turns to Aaron her look changes to dour. “Mr. Hurst….”  She starts to say but Aaron stops her with a raised hand. 

“Please call me Aaron, if we are going to do business together, I think we should be on a first name basis.” 

Kara returns his smile with a skeptical smirk.   “Mr. Hurst, have you ever eaten at Santino’s?”  She ask crossing one leg over the other drawing his attention away from her face to her legs again. 

“No Ms. Santino I can’t say that I have.”  Aaron stops smiling and looks over at Lester. 

Kara is also looking at Lester she has the same question for him.  “I see, what about you Mr. Hurst.  Have you ever had any of our food?” 

“Yes Ms. Santino, actually many times.  I had the pleasure of having a meal prepared by your father some years ago and I can truly say it was one of the best Italian meals I have ever tasted in all of my travels.”   He responds. 

She didn’t expect that type of answer from him it momentarily catches her off guard. 

“Yes.... thank you for that.  My father’s love of cooking brought us many loyal customers.” 

Kara closes the portfolio, she looks at Aaron Hurst.  He no longer appears as smug as he was when they first met he now has a sheepish look on his face.