Chapter 19

Chapter 19 

-The Red Carpet Walk 

James Monroe quietly opens the front door to the multi-million dollar beachfront property he shares with his second wife Amelia. It hasn’t been an easy marriage.  He is aware of his wife’s many faults but he always forgave them because she made such a major sacrifice in leaving her child behind with her ex-husband for him.  It’s always bothered him that mother and child were separated because of him but over the last few years he began to rethink that theory. 

His wife claimed her then husband would have dragged their child through a nasty divorce if she asked for custody and because their relationship started out as an affair she didn’t want him or his businesses to suffer.  With all the money they have she never tried to fight for custody of her daughter and she never talks about her.  

He has stayed with her all these years he realizes because of his children.  He doesn’t want to drag them through another messy divorce.  His relationship with them was already tenuous.  Amelia seemed to be able to do something he couldn’t in bringing them together.   Through the years he has turned a blind eye to her cheating with other men after all she did cheat with him.  He has also had to make many payoffs to cover up other numerous scrapes she’s gotten herself into.  

James is tired of it all.  He walks to the locked desk in his study opening it to slide the large envelope he was given by Rita Hurst into the drawer locking it up.  It’s a recent investigation into the life of Kara Marina Santino.   

Nana Hurst does not trust women around her grandsons.  After what happened to Lester, the women in relationships with her boys are investigated.   The envelope James locks away in his desk is the investigation results for Kara.  It also contains information about the ownership of Santino’s restaurant. It shows two names on the deed to her family home and it contains her parent’s divorce papers including the depositions taken during the divorce which have opened his eyes.  

James Monroe walks over to his liquor cabinet then changes his mind.  He doesn’t need a stiff drink.  He needs to have all his wits about him at the charity gala tonight.  He’s sure he is going to hear more lies but he also doesn’t know how Amelia is going to take it when she finds out that the child she abandoned thirteen years ago is going to be at the charity event. 

Although they flew up on separate planes, James and Amelia were able to find out that Braylin wasn’t on the Hurst plane.  They were told he would not be attending the gala this weekend.  Seeing him at Nana Rita’s home was a surprise, seeing what a beautiful woman Kara Santino grew into was a shocker.  She is far more beautiful on the inside and out than her mother could ever be. 

James climbs the stairs filled with contemplation.  Entering the bedroom he shares with Amelia he doesn’t see her until he walks to her closet.  She just had her hair done she's picking out a pair of shoes to go with the dress she will be wearing tonight to the charity gala.  He takes one look at her face and decides he’s going to keep his mouth shut.  He knows this woman and her ways.  He wants Kara to enjoy as much of the event as she possibly can before his wife starts to interfere in her life.  

Kara sits through the entire luncheon on edge watching Lauren Mathews follow Braylin every time he gets up to speak with someone or go somewhere.  While Nana Rita is thanking everyone for coming to the luncheon Braylin and Lauren aren’t anywhere to be seen.  Kara is already thinking wherever they are Lauren is taking advantage of the chance to have him to herself. The look his cousin’s keep sending her way make her feel like they know something she doesn’t.