Chapter 28

Chapter 28

-Stay With Me

The ride too Braylin’s apartment is in resolute silence.  Kara looks out the passenger window getting miniature glimpses of Manhattan night life.

The sleepless nights and worry she had the entire time she was staying in that hotel is gone.  She sneaks a glimpse at Braylin’s handsome profile.  His face doesn’t look so angry now but his hands are gripping the steering wheel.

Shivering Kara thinks of the alterative if she had continued to stay alone at that hotel without anyone knowing she was there.  Mr. Anderson gave her up so easily.  He probably would have done the same if it had been Liam that found her.  What did she really expect from the man anyway?  He has her father’s watches, but the greatest value they have is a sentimental one to her.  Mr. Anderson wanted more from her, he wanted her body instead.  She refused his advances. 

Now she can breathe a sigh of relief she’s out of that situation.  While at his house she sat up all night.   Even after he made the deal with her to take her to the hotel he worked in, she was sure he had a key to her hotel room.  It was just a matter of time before he decided the watches she gave him were not payment enough for all that he had done for her.

She’s grateful to Braylin for showing up when he did, she’s so tired.  She hasn’t had a goodnight’s sleep since she left him in the Hampton’s.  The few nights she was able to fall asleep nightmares about Liam plagued her.  She wants to hold Braylin’s hand, feel his eyes looking at her in that special way he has.  If only he would have held her in his arms instead of throwing her over his shoulder she would feel so much better about all of this.  He reprimanded her like she was an errant child it makes her feel like she’s still an intruder in his life.  She believes he came after her because he feels obligated to do it just to get her land.

Braylin glances at her for a couple of seconds seeing her shiver.  He reaches down to turn on the heater thinking she’s cold.  He didn’t mean to act like such a brut.  He didn’t know what else to do.  He was so afraid something would happen to her.   He wants to reach across the seat grab her and hold her.  This isn’t the time or the place to tell her how he feels.  He sighs and continues to concentrate on his driving saying nothing.

She purses her lips together they have arrived at his home.  A feeling of melancholy overwhelms her.  They no longer have an agreement between them.  Why is he bringing her here?

Kara waits for him to unlock his front door.  She checks the time, its late Millie and Anzio have to be already gone by now.  She’s going to be here alone with him.  It’s not something she’s anticipating anymore after the way he reacted at the hotel.

He waits for her to go ahead of him.  She enters heading straight for the stairs.

“Wait…..”  He says with tiredness.  She hears his key fob hit the coffee table.

“Are you hungry?  Is the question he ask her?

Kara turns around to face him.   “That’s it?  That’s what you have to say to me?  Am I….. hungry?”  Looking down at her appearance she is furious he embarrassed her.  Apparently he hasn’t even noticed how she’s dressed.

“Yeah, I asked you if you are hungry.  It’s a simple yes or no question.  The polite thing to do would be to answer it.”  He sarcastically remarks.  He’s got that feeling like he screwed up but isn’t sure what he did that’s so wrong.  He went and got her out of that place didn’t he.  Surely she doesn’t prefer staying in a hotel rather than his home or maybe it’s just that she doesn’t want to be near him.