Chapter 8

Chapter 8

-Hold My Hand

Braylin is in a pensive mood by the time he gets to work the next morning. He only came in to attend the investor's meeting about the mid-town development then he's going to the hospital. Kara is going to get to look at herself in a mirror for the first time since the attack. He was told by her doctor when victims of attacks see their disfigured faces for the first time it's usually a traumatic experience. Dr. Kramer warned him she might suffer flashbacks and nightmares once released. He is going to recommend counseling for her.

Why is his conscious showing up now? He doesn't have to be there with her. Surely someone else can do it. But what if someone else convinces her to sell to someone other than them or talks her into doing something that could hurt their mid-town project.  He didn't realize until he was talking with Dr. Kramer before he left the hospital last night that his visits are perpetuating the medical staff's belief of the fairytale story the tabloids have created about them.

The investor's meeting runs two hours. They are nervous about the mid-town conglomerate getting completed. They want assurances that Hurst Incorporated will have ownership of the property in sixty days. Braylin refuses to sign off. He assures everyone that he can get the owner to sign an agreement stating she will not sell to anyone else in that timeframe. The investors agree. Lester and Cameron look at him with worry and skepticism. Aaron appears to be surprised that he put himself out on a cliff considering his talk of how much he's not really interested in her.

Braylin hurries back to his office to get some paperwork signed off on before he has to leave for the day.  Aaron enters his office without knocking sitting down in a chair crossing one creased pant leg over the other.

"I can't believe you just did that?" He exclaims with a snorting laugh.

"Always tell the bastards you can do something. After they agree figure out a way to get it done." Braylin schools his younger brother while signing off on the contracts Jennifer left for him.

"Yeah right. You know I thought about this situation last night before my date arrived and I don't know if I could do what you're doing." Aaron says shaking his head.

Braylin stops signing the contracts looking up at him. "What exactly do you think I'm doing?"

"Playing with fire. She's been hurt, she has no family and you want to take from her the only thing she has. She's vulnerable right now Bray. You're paying her bills, managing her business and visiting her every day. You're feeding those damn tabloid stories. Those bastards in that conference room only agreed because they think you're sleeping with her."

Braylin slams the folder holding the contracts he just signed closed. "I'm not sleeping with her but we may be sleeping in the same house soon."

"What? You're going to take her to your house when they release her aren't you?" Aaron waits for him to admit it. He stays silent putting the folder in his out tray for his PA to pick up.

"Bray, you don't let your dates spend the night except maybe Elise once or twice. Does Anzio know you're about to bring another chef into his kitchen? What about Millie, have you told her she's going to have another female in the house?

"Anzio will be fine. He's only there two nights out of the week anyway since his wife's been ill. Elise comes over for one thing, she's usually gone before breakfast. Millie won't mind, she doesn't stay overnight and she'll just be happy it isn't Elise, she hates her.

"Tell me how Elise handled this whole thing with Kara when you told her. I'm sure she isn't happy about it." Aaron questions.

Braylin rolls his eyes at him then pulls out his cell phone to check the message he just received.