Chapter 18

Chapter 18 

-The Pain of the Past

Kara drags one of her suitcases over to the bed and throws it on it.  It’s not zipped up and the clothes she still has in it go flying around the bed onto the floor.  Frustrated and angry she starts to pick them up having to crawl under the bed to grab a shoe. 

A maid has obviously been in the room.  Her bed is made and the blinds are open.  Braylin has already knocked on her door trying the lock.  

The vision of him standing in that doorway with that woman won’t leave her mind. Had he not stopped her from touching his face what she saw may have been more hurtful than it feels now. 

She’s sure she can get another buyer for her restaurant.  Does she want to sever all ties with his family and if she does can she handle never seeing him again.  

As Kara sets on the floor contemplating, the doorknob to her bedroom rattles and she hears a familiar voice. 

“Kara, are you in there?”  It’s Michelle.  “Kara please, let me in.  We’re concerned about you, we need to know that you are alright.  Braylin has gone to get the key.  Please let me talk to you.  I promise I won’t let him come in if you open the door.” 

Kara stands up to look at the sliding glass doors.  She hurries over to close the blinds.  Walking to the bedroom door she leans her forehead against it. 

“Michelle, she says softly the tears rolling down her cheeks.  “I messed up.”  She sniffles wiping the tears from her eyes. 

“Kara, I can’t understand what you’re saying, please open the door so we can talk.  I promise it will be just you and me.” Kara opens the door backing up allowing Michelle to enter then closing it.  

“So you’re going to run, eh?”  She walks over to the bed picking up the clothes spilled on the floor. 

“I didn’t think ladies like you did things like that.  Leave them.  I’ll put them all on the bed before I leave I won’t take anything paid for with his money.”  Kara replies. 

Michelle stares at her offending sad face.  “I’ll excuse the insult that I’m a snob but just for the record I come from a middle class background just like you. I know you’ve been too preoccupied to notice it but although we came up on the plane with some of the Hurst cousins we don’t stay at this house.  We have our own beach home not far from here.  It’s nothing like this place, but Cameron bought it because of me.  He tried to say it was because he didn’t want to make out with me at his grandmother’s house but I know the real reason is because some of his family will never accept me.  I’m not one of the rich girls they assumed he would marry. “ 

“I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have taken my anger out on you.  You’ve been nothing but kind to me.”  Kara responds. 

“Apology accepted, come here and sit down.”  Michelle commands.  She waits until Kara walks to the bed shoving the suitcase to the side she sits on it to listen.  

“Kara, they were born into money.  When you have the type of money they have its expected they will just marry more money to grow their power and financial status.” 

“The moment you were seen in the society pages with Braylin trust me the first thing that happened was your background was looked into.  These people knew more about you than you know about yourself.  You became a threat.” 

Kara holds her head down and Michelle tips it up.  “It’s the same old story, you saw the man you’re falling for in the arms of another woman.  Am I right?”