Chapter 17

Chapter 17 

-Romance and Relationships 101

Braylin pulls up to an empty space in the driveway turns off the motor then looks over at Kara.  She’s asleep.  Lifting her in his arms he carries her into the house and up the stairs to a bedroom.  He takes his shirt off of her laying it across a chair then removes her shoes.  She never wakes up.  He slides the covers over her then leaves her to go to his old room.  

Kara wakes the following morning to sunlight shining in her eyes.  Her surroundings have her disconcerted, she can hear voices coming from somewhere as she sets up in the bed to stretch.  She doesn’t know what time they arrived here early this morning.  They didn’t talk about the things she thought they would.  He told her this weekend was extremely important to him.   

It’s not just a chance to visit his grandmother, it’s about business.  It quickly became evident to her the reason they didn’t fly up was because he wanted to make it clear he didn’t want her to say something she shouldn’t about their relationship or the mid-town project.  He basically informed her she should keep her mouth shut around their investors that will be here this weekend and act her part as the adoring girlfriend.

Kara thought he was being condescending, she took offense that he was telling her how she should carry herself around these people.  

Their discussion got heated.  A big rig almost ran them off the road when it pulled out onto the highway from a rest area.  Braylin had to swerve out of the rigs way to keep them from getting hit.  After it happened he pulled over to the side of the road.  She was shook up.  He apologized to her if he offended her and they traveled the rest of the journey in silence and she fell asleep. 

There’s a set of sliding doors with a balcony in her room.  She crawls out of the bed to go look out it.  Her view is of a swimming pool.  She opens the doors to walk out on the balcony.  It extends all the way down to the edge of the house.  There are several other doors.  She doesn’t know if one of them leads to Braylin’s bedroom.  Peeking over the railing she can see two people inside the pool, another is standing just below her head she can hear voices coming from somewhere but she can’t see the faces of who it is talking. 

“Are they here yet?”  One of the female voices says. 

“Yeah, they got in around two this morning.  Michelle said they are really in love with each other and they wanted to ride up to be alone instead of taking the plane with us.”  The other female voice says. 

“I don’t believe that.  Kevin said that Braylin walked into his old room.  When he found him sleeping there he looked surprised.  He didn’t know Nana had put someone else in his room this weekend.  Apparently they aren’t sleeping in the same bed so somebody is lying.” 

“Isn’t she the one that has that restaurant?”   

“I think so.  Do you really think Braylin has lowered himself to those kinds of standards?  She’s a cook or something like that.   I think he’s using her until he gets her building.   Lauren’s here with her parents I hear.” 

“She is, I saw her out shopping yesterday for a new swimsuit.  She looks stunning.  She’ll have him back with her in no time.   This other girl can’t possibly compare to her.  He and Lauren have always been right for each other.  Their breakup was just an unfortunate mistake.  People make them all the time.  He should forgive her is what I say.  They are meant for each other.” 

“I guess that means you’re pulling for her instead of Elise.”   

“Are you kidding?  Elise is desperate and it shows.  Is there anybody in this family that likes her?”