Chapter 5

Chapter 5

_Cause and Affect      

Darla stands next to Kara at the water station getting a refill glass of tea for a customer. “You’re daydreaming again.”  She tells her while filling two glasses full of ice.  

“I don’t have daydreams.  I have nightmares of this place being taken away from me.  I’m just trying to figure out how to hold on to it.”  Kara replies.  “What about you and that foreman from Hurst that comes in here.”  

“He wants to take me out.  He says some of their guys hours are being cut back due to a problem with continuing work on the new building next door. You know he asked me if you sold this place yet and I told him I didn’t know.”  Darla  responds filling the glasses with tea.  

Kara grabs a pitcher to scoop it full of ice then fills it with water.   “Darla…. I honestly don’t know what I’m going to do.  These people are so cunning. I know I have to do something.  Darla squeezes her arm before walking off to give the customers their tea. 

Kara goes into the kitchen to make another sandwich.  Her mind stays occupied with flashbacks of the night she spent with Braylin at the hotel.   After they kissed he picked her up carrying her into her bedroom.   Her robe fell open when he laid her on the bed exposing her breast.  She could see the desire in his eyes as she scrambled to cover herself.  She was just as affected but found the strength to ask him to leave.  She thought he would object, he would ask her to let him stay or maybe try harder to bed her but it didn’t happen.  

His manner was cool and reserved toward her the following morning.  Each time she tried to talk to him during the drive to her restaurant he remained aloof.  When he dropped her off he didn’t bother to get out of the car to walk her to the door, he just zoomed off. 

Kara is brought out of her thoughts by Casey’s anxious voice.  

“Kara, you’ve got to come outside to see this.  He's pushing her to the back door.  There’s nowhere for us to park.”   

Kara’s mouth drops open when she looks out the door.  Construction and excavation equipment is everywhere.  There’s a row of parked forklifts blocking the alleyway.  A bulldozer is parked next to her Land rover and a front-end loader sets in the parking spot used for deliveries. There is steel tubing that has been unloaded filling up the parking spaces. 

“I tried talking to the foreman but he just kept making crude jokes.  He said those damn Hurst men need to bottle whatever it is they’re putting on women.  He told me they don’t need to move anything because Hurst Corporation was going to be the owner of this building by the end of the day if they didn’t own it already.”  Casey rants on until he sees Kara’s red flushed face.   “Oh Kara, I’m sorry I didn’t mean…..” 

Her skin has hives, she tries to hold onto her anger not wanting to take it out on Casey. “It’s alright Casey it’s not your fault.”  She turns around walking back into the restaurant. 

“What are you going to do?”  Casey ask a worried look on his face he's walking beside her. 

“I’m going to talk to the source of this mess.”  She walks into her office while taking off her work vest.  Casey is still by her side.

“Kara, I don’t know if that’s a good idea. You need your attorney or somebody….”   She cuts him off.    “Don’t tell me what I need.  I can take care of this myself.  Fill Darla in on what’s going on.  Get the rest of the orders out and everybody can leave on time today.”  She says grabbing her keys, phone and purse from her desk.   "I'm sorry Casey, I don't mean to take it out on you."  she apologizes.