Chapter 21

Chapter 21 

-Listen to Your Heart 

Braylin goes back the way he came into the room where all the guests are gathered.  He sees Logan standing at the bar talking to some of the other guests.  Elise sees Braylin come into the room she walks quickly over to him. 

“Wow Braylin, I don’t think I’ve ever seen you look pale.  I swear I see an actual emotion on your face.  What’s the matter sweetie, did your fake girlfriend sell her building to somebody else?”  Elise mockingly comments. 

“Elise, the emotion you see is disgust that you’re still here.  There are plenty of rich men in this room, why don’t you run along to see if any of them are interested in getting a new mistress whose best quality is keeping her mouth open while on her knees.”   

“You bastard…”  Elise raises her hand to slap Braylin across the face he catches her wrist. 

“Not tonight sweetheart.  I’m not into your sex games.”  He glowers at her. 

“You are a mean and insensitive man Braylin Hurst.  Someday someone is going to twist the knife in that cold heart of yours then you’ll know what it’s like to care about someone.”  Elise tells him her voice is full of pent up anger. 

“Care about someone, what would you know about caring for someone Elise. You’re a parasite.  You hang on to me because of my connections you like power and prestige.  You want to be the queen B in your little click.  I told you I wasn’t coming back….ever.  Accept it, I meant what I said.” 

Braylin takes a step away from her.  There are tears in her eyes, he knows what he said to her is harsh but he refuses to apologize after the way she treated Kara. 

“Stop it Elise.  It’s not going to work this time.”   He brushes past her walking away. 

Kara has come back into the room to find Braylin talking to Elise.  Nothing has apparently changed.  He’s still giving all of his attention to any other woman but her.  

Turning away from them she goes to the bathroom.  She opens the bathroom door and runs into Lauren.  The other woman holds the door open waiting for Kara to enter.  She follows behind her into the bathroom.

Kara primps at the mirror and washes her hands.  She doesn’t feel like dealing with another one of Braylin’s women but she’s not going to back down from either of them.  

“You know he’s not going to stay with you don’t you.”  Lauren walks closer to Kara as she turns off the water and reaches for a paper towel. 

Kara takes her time drying her hands while still looking in the mirror.  “Whatever Braylin and I do is between us.  I think he can make his own decisions.”   

“You poor girl, He’s spent most of the evening avoiding you.  Everyone here knows he’s only seeing you until he gets your land to finish off that property they have in mid-town.  I suggest if you want to be with a wealthy man, you better get back with Logan.  I don’t know why you broke up but he seems to still care for you.  Maybe if you go home with him tonight you can rekindle what you once had.”  Lauren smirks. 

“I don’t need advice from you Lauren.  Unlike you I don’t have to chase Braylin.  He came looking for me.  You can keep trying to convince yourself he’s with me because of my land, we both know he didn’t have to bring me here this weekend.  I’m not stopping him from seeing you.  He made that decision on his own.  You two broke up years ago, it doesn’t matter whether I’m with him or not, he still doesn’t want you.”  Kara closes her purse with a snap, she walks out of the bathroom praying she doesn’t fall on her face she’s so nervous.