Chapter 42

Chapter 42 

-Clues or Coincidence 

The rain has been coming down heavy since last night.  Kara pulls into the parking lot of her restaurant and notices the huge tarp flapping in the wind at the construction site.  There’s a huge sign on it for Lester.  She’s learned so much she didn’t know about him and the Hurst family in general in the last few days.  It’s early morning and the parking lot only has a few cars in it. 

Hurrying inside the restaurant where it’s dry she stops at the restaurant’s back kitchen entrance to hang up her coat.  Her shoes are squeaking filled with water she takes them off.   

Braylin kept his word in spite of everything that’s going on.  Somehow he was able to get her restaurant opened back up without any restrictions.   The car accident caught everyone off guard.  Living seems to be the only urgent requirement anyone is concerned about right now everything else can wait a day, weeks or however long it takes. 

“Hey…”  Darla rushes toward Kara taking the unopened umbrella and her bag out of her hand sitting it on the table nearby while Kara grabs a napkin from a pile to wipe the rain water from her face and hands. 

Mica walks through the bi-fold doors followed by Casey.  They stand around the kitchen area waiting for Kara to adjust her clothing and try to fix her hair.  She put it up in a messy bun when she got dressed this morning she’s taking it down putting it in a ponytail as she walks toward them. 

“You going to tell us what happened right?”  Casey ask.  A worried look is on his face. 

Kara looks startled seeing the three of them looking at her with anxious eyes.  They know Lester because of her.  They like him and want to hear about his wellbeing. 

“Ahum… Morning first of all.”  She clears her throat.  “I’m glad we’re open again and happy to see you all.  Let me just get that out of the way.”  Kara responds to their impatient waiting. 

Mica takes a seat near where she stands, Darla follows by sitting down in a chair nearby and Casey leans against the huge prep island. 

“Morning to you to Kara.”  They say in unison.  “Now tell us?”  Casey adds on. 

“Ok….alright.”  Kara says her own pensive mood haunting her. 

“Well, like I told you on the phone.  We were talking to the Sheffield’s about Liam at Hurst Corporation when Aaron called and told us about Lester being in the car accident.  We all got to the hospital as soon as we could.  We didn’t know about James Monroe’s son being in the same accident until James came rushing through the waiting room door.”  Kara explains. 

“And James Monroe’s son is named Maxim, right.”  Darla adds in. 

“Yeah…he also has an estranged daughter who lives in London.  Maxim and Lester used to be best friends apparently.  They were college roommates, they worked together for a while at Hurst Corporation when there was some type of rift between James and his father.  I really don’t know all the details, but that’s what I got from Michelle while we were waiting.  Of course my mother is married to James so who knows if she’s involved somewhere in the breakup of that friendship.  I have my own suspicions.” 

“Mm, Maxim and Lester you said aren’t friends anymore because Maxim slept with Lester’s wife?”  Casey interjects. 

“Ahem….it’s not quite that simple.  It appears Lester and his wife Alexandra were having some marital problems.  She’s an attorney so she couldn’t just up and travel where he wanted her to go.  She left Lester, Maxim kept showing up he was supposed to be checking up on her for Lester instead he, you know…got close to her and she got pregnant by him.  Lester divorced her.”  Kara softly says to a silent room.