Chapter 29

Chapter 29

-No Surrender 

Braylin checks his watch, this meeting with their bankers has been going on for two hours.  He lost attention about an hour and a half ago after hearing how much money they stand to lose on this deal if the situation doesn’t get resolved.  The rumors and whispers of possible failure is causing a domino effect with some of their other projects.  Someone has to go to Dubai to deal with the situation there and someone is needed in Vegas to quiet the fears of the casino investors. 

He’s been nervous since learning if Kara isn’t around ownership of Santino’s and the land surrounding it automatically transfer to her mother.  He knows Amelia, the type of woman she is but would she?  He can’t think even she would see harm come to her own daughter. 

Checking his phone he doesn’t find any more messages from Detective Farrow or Conner regarding Liam’s whereabouts.  Conner left a message to say that the other thing he asked him to handle has been taken care of.  Mr. Anderson is no longer a night manager at the hotel.  He won’t be working at any hotel in the New York region.  He’s moving to Virginia to stay with his sister. His house is being put up for sale today. 

He also reports that Kara has arrived safely at her restaurant.  He will be there with her all day. 

Kara resigns herself to seeing the burly muscular presence of Conner following her everywhere she goes. She begged him to back off to let her breath in her own restaurant.   Her staff warmly welcomes her back.  Everyone is informed that during her time away she thought of lots of new things they could put on their menu.  Business is good.  Her staff want her to make a decision to serve dinner again.  They want to fully open Santino’s up operating it the way her father would have wanted it to be run. 

As she makes her rounds through the restaurant she notices little changes.  There's a new oven, the tables and chairs in the dining area have been upgraded.  The dishes they use are all new.  She’s glad, her nightmares always consist of visions of the old plates that crashed to the floor as Liam attacked her.  

The employees lounge has been completely remodeled.   The water stain that ran down one side of the kitchen wall from a busted pipe in the apartment above has been fixed.   She knows he is responsible for all of this.  Why didn’t he tell her? 

She’s in her office with Mica figuring out how they can open the place up to be fully operational when Darla comes in.  She looks shook-up. Her smooth latte color skin is full of hives.  Normally Darla is a bold and formidable young woman.  She was raised by military parents.  She’s traveled the world not afriad of anything.  Something must have happened in the dining room.  “Darla…..what is it.  What’s wrong?”  Kara rushes over to her followed by a concerned Mica. 

“There’s a woman here.  She was really nasty to me, so demanding and rude.  I almost took her head off until I really looked at her.  I swear it’s like I’m seeing an older version of you.  Her eyes, the shape of her nose, her mouth, she’s the same height.  On her wrist, Kara she’s wearing your bracelets at least they look like your bracelets.  Her hair is a dark blond but other than that she really looks just like you.”  Darla says softly staring at Kara. 

“Is she alone, where is she?”  Mica wants to know. 

“I’m not sure, she seemed to know her way around I tried to stop her, she ignored me. I tried telling her the kitchen and lounge were off limits to customers.  She told me I couldn’t tell her what to do in her own goddamn restaurant.  There was a younger man with her.  Casey saw all of the commotion.  He even looked stunned when he saw her.  He told the guy with her that she was being rude, he asked them to leave.  The young guy got defensive he started yelling at Casey.  They seemed to know each other.  Casey told me to come get you.  He said he would deal with the situation.”