T w e n t y - O n e

Abed felt a small sorrowful smile appear on his lips as he was grasped into a snippet of a memory.

"I can't believe I turned 20!" Abed heard Taraa exclaim.

Abed shot up his head towards her and poured another glass of milk and started gobbling up.

Abed knew what Taraa had meant. She wasn't all excited like the rest of the girls or happy about her new year, she was only sad that with each birthday, she was only losing a year of her life. And how on earth people find it a good cause or on what grounds do they celebrate it?

Big deal, you came into the world on that specific date or day. Guess what? You were born to die. In this life, you only came to die, you were meant to die and that's the ultimate promise of life. It's the one promise that no one can break, and no one can mess with. And now, you are partying over it?

Is life a joke to you?

Are you gambling life with a bunch of presents, wishes, music, dancing, dresses, lipsticks, drinking, cake and food?

Who are you really fooling?

And Abed had the same case. He never liked birthdays, he never liked the concept of celebrating it, he never liked the fact that people had to waste a handsome amount of money just to rejoice a date or hype about it which literally brings up nothing, symbolizes nothing, means nothing but it is only what they think it is. He found it stupid, cliché, overrated, trendy and so worldly. He hated the fact that people celebrate on something that is solely based upon their mindless thoughts. Life is really simple but people, they insist on making it complicated.

"Seriously, every single time, I keep questioning myself whether or not I am ready for death. It wakes me up, you know. But at the same time, it makes me feel more connected to God." Taraa continued and Abed just listened.

"Because, it gives me a sense of comfort and assurance that I will be departing from this world. Finally, no more of the world! I feel like death is my escape, death is my friend, death is the way, the entry to the Eternal life. Like, I can't wait to die! Of course, it's nothing suicidal but only for good causes!"

Abed's head was in his hands but he was attentively listening to her, not wanting to reply her. Because he knew, nothing can defeat the truth.

He then looked at her and simply asked,

"So, you want nothing from this world? Don't you have dreams or such?"

"This world, it doesn't match my wants and demands. And as for that, of course I dream!"

Abed shrugged, because that was her typical answer. He knew Taraa was something else, something far from the galaxies.

"Then what can you possibly dream of?"

"Paradise, what else?" Taraa stated like it was the most obvious thing to claim.

Abed was awed by her answer and smiled a little but that smile was a scary and sorrowful one.

"That's a beautiful dream. Unlike me, you are worthy of it."

Taraa observed him for a good minute and asked, her mood suddenly shifted to worry and curiosity.

"Okay, why did you say that?"