T w e n t y - T h r e e

As he was handed the file, he went through it thoroughly as anger teased him beyond the limits. He glanced around if anyone was watching him and clicked pictures of each and every word.

He slowly put his phone underneath his coat's pocket and handed back the case file.

He closed his eyes as he remembered Esta's ex-husband and sighed deeply.

The images were crystal clear and it wasn't a memory anymore.

It was a fact of his life, a proof to his soul, a part of his heart.

He exited the HQ and caught a cab which drove him towards the airport.

*** *** ***

Kalim waited upon his arrival and when he finally showed up in one of the airports of New York City, Abed asked him to drop him at his condo which was in the city.

He didn't want to go to town tonight.

He didn't want to face Esta.

He didn't want anything to do with that town.

Yes, he knew Esta would be all alone but it's not like she hadn't dealt with loneliness and hurt before.

She did deal with them a million times and she can deal with it now too.

It's not like it's something new.

Kalim suddenly stopped his car and asked,

"You okay?"

Abed flexibly looked towards the road ahead and snapped rather coldly,

"Shut up and drive."

*** *** ***

It was late in the evening when Abed was still at work, a couple of his finance books were scattered all over the desk as he kept on taking notes.

His signature scowl highlighted his expression, while his brows were scrunched and his mind was completely blocked and intact with his study that he didn't hear the mundane clicking of the heels against the cold and marbled tiles which approached him.

She then took a seat in front of his desk, opposite to him and watched him carefully.

Abed knew what she had to say so he didn't bother to acknowledge her presence.

"Abed, just fire me!" She sighed.

Except for that, he didn't expect her to say!

But what?

Okay, he didn't have time for drama!

Abed paused continuing his notes and glanced towards the Armani watch which smoothly gridded her wrist.

He didn't look at her!

"Rachel." Abed acknowledged with a low, thin voice.

He then went back on continuing his study, while she repeated again.

"Fire me, Abed!"

Abed scrunched his brows deeply as the text in his finances read something odd and he got up towards the book shelf to recheck the laws and rules.

He completely ignored her presence and whatever she said, because likewise, Abed didn't have time for drama.

"Abed, I'm talking to you." This time she stood up and said rather sternly with a raised voice.