Ch.IV The hunt begins

Change of plan. Cancel his trip to Italy. Time to find the right woman for him.

(I can't forget her. Jane Appleton. It seemed she had questioned family background. I must learn more about her...)

Nathaniel changes his attires. Time to visit an old friend.

*****

"Knew you would be here," greets Nathaniel.

"Where else I would be? This is my gym after all," says Dallas while launching a fake jab to him. Nathaniel caught his fist easily.

"If this is how you fight nowadays, it would be surprising if your gym's still standing..." teases Nathaniel.

"Face me in the ring, pretty boy. Let's you see for yourself," challenged Jackson.

"Later. I need to meet someone first," says Nathaniel.

"It's a deal. Don't worry. I won't hit your face, pretty boy," mocks Dallas.

A man is punching a sand bag when Nathaniel approaches him from behind.

The man stops punching.He turns around and asks, "Yes? What can I do for you?"

"Mr. Lyons Ducane?"

"The one and only. If this is about a case, contact my law firm, Matthews and Millets."

Lyons turns around again and starts punching the sandbag.

"My name is Nathaniel Vento, Marquee Bourne. I'm here about Jane Appleton. I went to my club earlier. They said I should ask you about her. I assumed you are her guardian," says Nathaniel while walking next to the sandbag.

Lyons stops punching again. He asks, "Okay. What did that rascal do this time?"

"Excuse me?"

Lyons stares Nathaniel as if judging him. And he apologizes, "Sorry if she offended you in any way, Milord. The girl is from countryside. We are still training her to be more lady-like."

Nathaniel rubs his chin. He asks, "She's no lady?"

Lyons grabs a small towel and wipes his face. And he says, "Let's talk over there."

They walk toward a secluded place at the corner of the gym. Far from men training or punching each others.

Lyons sits down on the bench. Nathaniel stands up next to him.

Lyons asks, "Why are you asking about her?"

"I thought she's different from other ladies I have known."

"She's stubborn and hot blooded lady," laments Lyons.

"How about her parents and family?" asks Nathaniel.

"Her late mother is just an ordinary farmer from Cornwall. Her father was Duke Worthington. As you may have heard, he never married her."

(An illegitimate daughter. Don't know if grandmama would like her. But...)

Nathaniel closes his eyes and imagines about her. Amber skin. Cat shaped gray eyes. She looks ... Yum!

(I want her! A girl like her would be able to keep up with me in my journeys. She won't slow me down. And in my bed...).

Lyons is staring him with squinted eyes.

"I think I could see what just passed your mind. No, Milord. She won't be your mistress. She's looking for a husband. Not a patron," scolds Lyons harshly.