Ch.4 Donelly's offense

Connor Donelly visits them as he has promised. It's a rainy day. So he spent a while in the foyer. To take off his wet raincoat.

"No wonder we got a bad weather. You're here," complaints another man who just arrived.

Lyons is also taking off his raincoat. A footman is waiting for their raincoats.

"The devil has come. Should I cower in fear?" mocks Donnelly.

"Come in, boys. We got hot chocolate ready. Or you prefer Brandy?" asks Miranda.

"Perfect rhyme, Ma'am," praises Donelly.

"I love poems like other ladies," says her.

Tess has just arrived to greet them.

Miranda says, "The heroine has entered the stage. Time for sidekicks to vanish."

She makes eye gestures to Lyons. But he completely ignores her.

Miranda says, "Feel free to use the sitting room. Lyons, I need to speak with you."

"It could wait until later," protests Lyons.

"It's urgent," says her while grabbing his arm.

Forcing him to leave Tess alone with Connor Donelly.

In the library, Miranda asks coldly, "What's your plan, Sir?"

"I don't know what you are talking about," defends him.

"He's the first man who visits her for months. You can't ruin it for her. It's already winter!"

(She's right. I know she's right. But seeing Tess with Donelly. It made me angry. I better check up on her).

Miranda has gone to her room. Lyons goes to another direction. To the sitting room.

Lyons opens the door to the sitting room slightly.

"Can you believe it? A goat in a courthouse? Lyons used a goat to be a witness," mocks Donelly.

"So, that's what you have been doing? Gossiping bad things about me when I'm not around?" asks Lyons irritatedly while entering the room.

Tess' eyes are shining brightly when she asks, "Oh, Lyons. Did you really use a goat?"

"It's just a mistake. My first case. I didn't know a witness must be a human," defends Lyons.

(It's my worst mistake! How dare he tell the shameful story to her? How much did he tell her? I better stop him).

Lyons forces himself to sit on the same couch. Between Tess and Connor. The space is too tight, Connor has to rise from it. And he chooses to sit in front of her.

Connor says, "You wouldn't believe unorthodox methods he used to prove his client's innocence. He even trained a parrot to scream like a lady."

Tess giggles. Lyons folds his hands.

(So, that's the plan, eh? Making fun of me? Well, two persons could do this game...)

Lyons counter attacks by saying, "You should ask him the story of the blind man, Tess. He grabbed a blind beggar from the streets as his witness. And who could blame it when I won the case?"

The Heiress (Wattys2018) (Completed)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें