Ch.VI Change of heart

"I just wanna a decent home. A small farm. A place where I could grow roots and raise my family," says Jane Appleton firmly.

"Don't you want to see the world and it's wonders? Pyramids in Egypt. Great Wall in China. Pisa tower in Italy?" asks him curiously.

"Nay. I was satisfied living in Cornwall," replies her.

His brown eyes are eyeing her. The first lady who has caught his interest in years. And Nathaniel Vento has seen the women all around the world.

Tess pretends to continue knitting while Miranda doesn't stop staring him. It's a cloudy afternoon. The fireplace is lit because today is kind of chilly. The sitting room is small but cozy one.

Nathaniel knows he is a good looking guy

Nathaniel knows he is a good looking guy. Even an older lady like Miranda blushes a little when he speaks to her.

Jane folds her hands.

(This guy just arrived without any notice. And he requested to see me. Dancing with him last night was a mistake. I shouldn't have...)

She is still lost in thought.

Jane is startled when he holds her hand.

"Just give me a chance, girl. I will take you to see the world," says Nathaniel.

Jane is silent.

Miranda says, "She loves to know you better, Milord. If she didn't want you, Tess and Sophia are available."

Jane protests, "You sounded like our pimp."

"A good chaperone," corrects Miranda coldly.

Nathaniel stands up and then he says happily, "I have a meeting in half an hour. Nice to meet you, ladies."

Tess and Miranda stand up to make curtsey. Jane looks another way. Completely ignores him.

The door has closed behind him.

Miranda scolds, "Are you crazy, Jane? He is rich and handsome. What else do you need?"

Jane shrugs her shoulders. She only says, "I just don't like him. Too flirtatious. Make me wanna strangle him."

"That's a good sign. It means you have feelings for him. God knows I want to strangle Seb few times in my life," comments Miranda absentmindedly.

"Tea time, ladies," announces Sebastian.

He is just a butler here. Heard he had worked here for years. The way he stares Miranda when he thought no one's looking.

The man is deeply in love with her. And it seems Miranda loves him too. But the chasm between them is too wide. She is a Duke's daughter. He is just a butler, a servant in her house. If she married him, she would loose her friends and position in ton, forever.