Ch.XI Fighting back

Trapped in a small warehouse in India.

"Come and enjoy life in London. Dancing all night long. A sheltered life as a lady. Free from harm. Ducane is a liar!" curses Jane.

She lost her footings and slide down again. She's covered in soots.

Jane felt frustrated. She stares up to the small hole of fireplace. The only way to freedom. So high, unreachable. There's no way she could squeeze through the small opening. She isn't a skinny boy who worked as chimney cleaner.

This warehouse has no window. The only way out is a door. And it's locked.

Something white is lying on the floor. She picks it up. The chloroform smell could be smelled from it.

She picks it up and keeps it in her bodice pocket. Might be handy later.

Jane has taken off her crinoline and skirt. It's easier to push the crates around without her dress making her tripped. Maybe she could find an exit through the roof? The ceilings isn't too high to reach if she's standing on a crate.

The door got unlocked and a man got in.

He whistles, "You sure look hot, Jane. More curves now."

Jane hides her lower body behind a crate. The man locks the door behind him. The key goes to his breast pocket.

"Don't be shy, honey. I know you're dying to catch up with me too," says the blond man. He kept approaching her.

This man used to be her lover many years back. The man who swore his undying love for her. The man who deflowered her, promising to marry her. George Burns, son of a Baronet in nearby village.

Turned out, he already has a wife and five kids. And he only wanted Jane to be her mistress. Of course she turned him down. Life as a farmer is hard. But at least she still has her pride. Not a gentleman's toy.

"Don't play dumb, sweetie pie. I know you still love me," says him.

He tries to catch her but she evades him. "Playing hard to get? I'm getting horny, honey."

(This guy made me sick! Haven't he looked in the mirror lately? He used to be a handsome young man. Now his blond hair is getting thinner. Fat belly. Too much beer, I guess. Strong body odor. Compared to Niel, he's disgusting! Can't believe I used to love him. I'm such a big fool!)

Finally he caught her. Not much space to run in this small cramped warehouse.

"Let me go! Please, let me go!"

"It's working, sweetheart. I'm ready to fill you in. He...he...he..."

"No!"

He is kissing her bare neck. Trying to strip her. Jane tries to push him away.

(A handkerchief in my pocket!)

She takes it out and presses it to his face. He slumps down instantly on top of her. She quickly pushes him away. Rubbing herself, still feeling goosebumps from his touch.

There's a key in his pocket. She unlocks the door and takes a peek. Five guards are playing poker near the door. She won't be able to past them. Hoop skirt and crinoline aren't designed for running from fiends.

(What should I do? Hmm...I got a bold idea. Gotta try it).

She begins to take off her bodice.

*****

Ten minutes later, a man leaves Jane's cell. He doesn't forget to lock the door again. The guards are too busy playing poker to notice him. Twenty minutes later a man is shouting loudly from inside.