Ch.V Engage!

"Hello, Lord Harden. Lord Briarmore and Mr. Greene," greets Lyons warmly.

The other gentlemen greet him back.

They have pretended to meet the bachelors accidentally. Lyons and the ladies are taking stroll in the park after a picnic.

Truth is, their picnic basket is empty from the start. The ladies are here to meet the bachelors.

Lyons couldn't afford to join a club. So he has joined Jackson's gym on purpose. To learn more about these gentlemen.

The solicitor has average knowledge about their financial situation from the gossips in the gym.

Lyons introduces the men to Tess, Jane and Sophia. As usual, Sophia hides behind Jane's back.

Mr. Greene suggests, "Why not a squash game for us? Girls should do exercise once in a while."

Lyons pretends to protest, "They never play before, Sir. You would be disappointed."

Viscount Harden, George Wallace persuades, "We could teach them. It's very easy to play."

His eyes are eyeing Sophia. She's the cutest one in the team. Many men are staring her right now. And she hides quite often behind Jane's back.

Lyons asks, "What do you think, girls?"

They agreed to join the gentlemen and play squash.

Jane has never played squash in her life. But after half an hour playing, she got used to it. And she manages to make good scores. Far better than most gentlemen in the team.

"She's good," praises Lord Briarmore.

"Yes. She beat your score, George," teases Mr. Greene.

(I, I did too much. George doesn't look too happy. I'm trying to flirt him. Not making him angry. What should I do?)

Lyons says, "Don't worry. She's just got lucky. Everyone got beginner's luck once in a while."

Jane takes the cue. She pretends to hit the ball and suddenly she screams a little.

"Ouch! I think I sprained my ankle. I'm going to rest under a tree for a while," says Jane while walking toward a tree with a limp foot.

(The Viscount got no interest on me. He kept trying to move closer to Sophia. Poor Sophia. She's too shy. She's hiding behind Tess's back right now).

"Worst acting in my life. You shouldn't try your luck on stage, Lady Appleton," teases a man while approaching her.

He sits down next to her.

A handsome man with light brown hair and brown eyes.

"Who are you?" asks her.

"I'm heartbroken. We met in Almack before."

"I never been to Almack...wait... you're the crazy guy in purple robe?" asks her.

"I know you would remember me," says him while flashing his brightest smile.

(Dazzling. This guy is too handsome for me. I have to get away. Can't think. My mind is filled with cotton).

She stands up immediately. And he got up too.

"Don't go, Jane. I wanna to know you better," pleads him while holding her wrist.

"I don't know you, Sir..." protests her while trying to be free.

"Nathaniel Vento, Marquee Bourne. Now you know me," teases him.

(I'm glad he let me go so easily. Thought he would make a scene. I better join the others. Don't want to meet that weirdo again. Even if he's a very handsome guy).