Ch.11 My beloved cousin

Bern is staring to his long distant cousin, Peter James. He is supposed to be a priest. Although his love for booze keeping him away from his duties.

The runner reports said his cousin is in London whenever thugs tried to kill Duke Rashellet. Close to each crime scene.

Lyons and Dallas are here too. The champ is standing in front of the door, blocking the only exit. Lyons is smiling widely. Like a predator to his prey.

Lyons asks, "So, what's in it for you? Why you wanted his death?"

"Don't be ridiculous...my head hurts..."

Dallas punches the door few times. And his actions startled the drunkard priest.

Lyons says, "You aren't smart enough to pull the whole stunts. Who's behind all of this? Our uncle?"

The priest is silent.

"Are you ready to go to jail for him?" asks Lyons.

"My head hurts! I don't know what are you babbling about!"

They have to release the drunkard in the end. No possible lead from him.

Bern grunts. He has high hopes for them. And nothing. No result as usual.

Lyons looks toward him. Wondering what made Sophia fell for him. He couldn't even flirt her with words because he's a mute man.

Dallas punches a wall next to him.

He curses, "Damn it, Lyons! It's a dead end!"

Lyons says cheerfully, "Not yet. I found something interesting when I'm rummaging financial records with the Duke's financial manager. I also got this record here from your previous runner, Your Grace."

He puts down the two sheets of paper on the desk in front of Bern.

Lyons asks, "Look at the dates. Did you see something odd? Each assassination attempts only dated few days after you gave money to your uncle. Congrats, Your Grace. I think you kept funding your own assassination attempts."

Bern holds the desk in his rage. His fingers turned white. He just couldn't believe his eyes. His uncle has been using his own money to kill him.

Lyons suggests, "Stop lending him money. And I think the assassination attempts would cease. Your uncle isn't rich enough to pay for thugs."

Bern sighs.

That sounds logical.

Lyons asks, "So, are you going to marry Sophia now? Or I shall have to find another suitor. I know two or three good men out there..."

Bern growls like a beast.

And he writes quickly, "She's mine."

Lyons chuckles.

He says, "Good day, Your Grace. I will ask the ladies to prepare everything for her. Before her aunt sail to America."

Dallas asks, "America?"

"To chase love. She got her courage a bit too late," replies Lyons.

Bern stares to his father's portrait on the wall. His father was a strong man despite his age.

(Could it be? Could he murdered my father too? His death was unexpected. Strong like a bull).

Bern sighs. Guess he would never know it now. His snake uncle would never tell him the truth.

*****

Six days later in a small shack outside London....

Dallas and Lyons stare to ceiling. A piece of rope is still dangling there. From a beam. The noose has been cut off when they took down the corpse.

The corpse has been moved away from the crime scene. A runner has informed them that Peter James, Duke's cousin has committed suicide last night.

Peter lived alone so no eyewitness. His maid found his corpse when she came to do cleaning chores this morning.

A confession letter was found next to his corpse. The words look like scribbles and the ink was tainted in few spots. Peter admitted he has tried to assassinate the Duke few times.

"What do you think?" asks Lyons.

Dallas shakes his head.

He comments, "I don't like this. The ink was smudged as if he's been crying when he wrote it."

"A gun pointed to his head would make him write that letter."

"Same opinion."

Lyons stares to the beam. And he tries to jump to reach it. Too high.

Lyons says, "He couldn't do it. See! There's no chair as his footing. Someone else hanged him. Peter was even a lot shorter than me."

Dallas is silent.

Finally he says, "Postpone the wedding. The killer is still loose."

"Nay! The press has printed it. Her name would be tainted if we cancelled the wedding. As a illegitimate daughter, she has received too many scandals."

"But..."

"I will protect her. You got my words."

Dallas swears solemnly, "I will protect her. With all my life."

Lyons asks, "Not easy, isn't it? Seeing the woman you love marrying someone else."

"If it's him. I could feel at ease. Still angry. But..."

The churning in his stomach wouldn't stop. He loves her very much. Knowing she would never be his woman.

Lyons taps on his broad shoulder. The guy seems to understand how he felt. Dallas knows he's in love with Lady Tess. And like him, Lyons has to give up his love too.

Lyons says, "Let's leave this gloomy dark place. We got a wedding to celebrate."

Today is Sophia's wedding day. The guys missed it on purpose. Dallas couldn't be there. Seeing her marrying someone else.

He kept praying for her happiness. The only woman he ever loved.

Lyons seems lost in thought. Dallas says nothing. The men are silent on their way back.

The hack stops in front of Dallas gym.

Dallas gets out of it. Followed by Lyons. The advocate pays the Coachman for the ride.

Dallas is staring to his gym. Contemplating.

Lyons says, "Improve your gym. Losing a woman doesn't mean the end of your career."

"I know. This gym is my dream. I won't give up so easily. Future boxing champions shall flourish from this place."

Lyons smiles widely.

He says, "That's the spirit. I will take my friends here. Boxing could really relieve stress for advocates like me."

"You're a good man, Lyons. It isn't too late to win her heart. I think Lady Tess is in love with you too."

Lyons smiles sadly.

He says, "When a pure angel mixed with a devil, she would get corrupted. She's not mine. Would never be mine. See you, Dallas. Don't forget to open your gym."

Lyons walks home. He needs the exercise to clean his head.

Sophia got married this morning. Jane has married few months ago. Leaving Tess. Have to find a proper suitor for her.

Seeing Tess married another guy would kill him inside.

But it has to be done. He needs the money. To buy his partnership.

Again and again he thinks about money. Regretting he wasn't born with it.

-------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to vote and comment :)