Ch.XII Time to move on

"Niel was a good man. He was one of our best agents. That's why we want to recruit you. To be one of us. Most of us are widows with a grudge to Russia and other evil nations. Together we could change the world," says a stranger to her in the starboard one night.

She looks like an honorable lady, not a whore.

Jane asks, "Are you one of..."

"Dame douche. Yes, I am. Merry got fooled by an evil man. Guessed she's too weak in heart. Always longing for love."

Jane is silent.

"If you are interested, stop at Egypt. Find the Zangaki brothers. Tell them you wanna to go to Giza pyramid. One of their guides would give you more details about the mission."

Jane apologizes, "I'm sorry. I don't think I could..."

"Don't. It's just a suggestion. Grief could kill one's soul. You need to do something instead of mourning."

The lady walks away, leaving her behind. Jane stares to the dark sea, thinking about Niel and the fallen ladies.

(That woman really spoke like a true lady. How did she fall so low? I know it's for our country. Still ... Could I really do this?)

*****

Egypt arrived too soon...

Jane and Badhu disembark in Alexandria port. The servant protests a lot. But Jane has made up her mind.

It doesn't take much time to find the Zangaki brothers. They offer trips to pyramids, sphinx and other attractions in Egypt. They also shoot photos for the tourists as souvenirs from Egypt.

One of their guides leads them to Giza pyramid. Then he speaks Arabic language to Badhu. The servant leaves the spot immediately.

Jane looks around. Plenty tourists here. They would come if she screamed for help. She couldn't believe Badhu just left her like this. With a stranger.

The camel next to her spits

And she suddenly laughs.

All those jokes about camels that Niel said were true. They are smelly, ugly and could spit a lot. Not to mention their terrible smell of farts.

Camel ride from Alexandria to Giza pyramid takes hours. She felt sore. But as a lady, she couldn't tell the guide she needs to sit for a while. The mention of lower body parts to a stranger is humiliating. Even a farmer girl like her knows the basic rule.

Jane stares to the pyramid. A massive grave for a king. And she suddenly weeps.

(Niel, I missed you! Wished I could be with you here. You promised to take me to a pyramid. Now I'm here. Alone...)

"I thought you would be happy," says the guide for the first time in English.

He had been speaking Arabic language with Badhu the whole time.

(This voice! Could it be...)

Jane's hand tremble when she touches his turban. He has been using it to cover his face. She pulls it down a little to reveal his face.

He looks more frail than the last time they meet. But it is definitely him.

Jane gives him a good hug.

"Ouch, Jane! I can't breathe..." protests him.

Jane pleads, "Pinch me. Tell me it isn't a dream. Tell me I won't wake up and you're gone again..."

"I got better idea than pinching."

He kisses her lips passionately and she responds it eagerly.

Finally they have to stop to breath again.

Jane hits his arm before scolding him, "Thought you were dead. Why you didn't show up?"

"Sorry. I have to eliminate Dimitri's associates first. We got traitors in Dame douche. Merry wasn't the only one."

Jane hugs him and then says, "I can't believe you are still alive..."

"Merry saved my ass. She used her body to shield my crash. I think she's trying to make amends for betraying us. Her love for Dimitri had blinded her common sense. That devil would do anything to win. Even charming her to assist his wicked deeds."

Jane stares to her husband. A large scar on his forehead. And a small cut on his left cheek. But he still looks handsome as ever.

She asks, "What if I never come here? To Egypt?"

"You will. My farmer girl is a brave lady," praises him.

"Oh, Niel!"

She hugs him even tighter.

"I'm going to faint...I can't breathe..."

"Niel?"

"I'm wearing a damn corset! The stupid doctor said it would help my ribs recovery. How could you breath using this torture device?" laments him.

Jane laughs heartily. Nathaniel smiles widely. Her laughter is music to his ears. She finally smiles again.

(Mission accomplished!)

Jane says, "Now you know the pain for being a woman."

"I will burn all your corset when we got home. They are torture devices."

"Don't you dare! They cost a fortune!"

"I love you, Jane Appleton, Lady Bourne." "I love you, Nathaniel Vento."

They kiss again.

The great pyramid is their background when a man from Zangaki tour (the real tour guide) shoots their photos.

The End
-------------------------------------------------------

Unforgettable honeymoon for a farmer girl.

Don't forget to vote and comment. Thanks for reading. Have a nice day:)

Scroll down. Heiress #2 starts soon.