Ch.8 Returning to my rightful place

It's a fine mid morning to stroll in Hyde Park. This place feels oddly familiar.

This morning, the Duke suddenly takes Sophia and the old maid, Josephine here.

Sophia and Josephine are walking together when a nobleman suddenly blocks their path.

He greets, "Aren't you Lady Sophia Joscelind? Why are you wearing rags like that? You should have accepted me as your patron. I shall pamper you for life."

The Duke quickly stands in front of the women. His fists tightened.

The nobleman rises his hands.

He says, "Easy, Milord. I didn't mean to tease your mistress. Though you should give her better dress. If she's mine, I would have..."

Sophia pulls Bern's arm before he punches the annoying nobleman.

Josephine quickly says, "You're mistaken, Milord. Milady here got terrible accident earlier. She couldn't remember her name and address. I lent my clothes for her..."

The nobleman's expression softened.

He apologizes, "I'm sorry to hear it. Her name is Lady Sophia Joscelind, a illegitimate daughter of Duke Worthington. She's staying at Lady Miranda Rockwell manor in Mayfair street."

Bern is stunned.

(A Duke's daughter? A Lady? And I treated her like a maid).

He stares her and Sophia stares him back.

Old Josephine says, "A Lady...we will take you home, Milady. Don't you worry a thing."

The nobleman says, "I hope you get well soon, Lady Joscelind."

He joins his friends, definitely to gossip with them about Lady Sophia's unfortunate accident.

Bern looks strange in their way to Rockwell mansion.

(I wonder if he would miss me or not. We have only been together for few days. And I know I'm going to miss him a lot).

Sophia stares to the manor. It looks cold and gloomy. She felt this isn't her home.

Bern offers his grandiose looking name card to the doorkeeper. He quickly takes the card for his mistress.

A lady above forty years old quickly shows up.

She still looks charming despite her age. She looks drunk too. And it still too early for booze.

"I don't know any Duke. What are you doing here?" asks her impolitely.

Miranda stares behind him.

She yells, "Sophia! You're finally back! Where have you been, you little wench?"

Bern takes few steps closer to the annoying chaperone.

A man quickly pushes him backward from her.

He apologizes, "She has suffered a lot. Please forgive her, Your Grace. A broken hearted Lady isn't nice view."

Miranda complaints, "I'm okay. I don't need Seb. That selfish brute...Seb, Seb, I miss you, honey..."

A red haired woman has showed up. And she hugs Sophia tightly.

She asks, "Where have you been, Sophia? We are worried sick for you..."

"Tess, you are going to strangle her to death in this rate. Everyone, come in please. It's too cold to stay outdoor," says the man.

In the sitting room, Josephine tells them the tale. Bern is a mute man. It's easier to let her talk.

About how Sophia saved her from attackers. And how she lost her memories.

(I should have left this place. She's safe, back with her family again. No place for me here...)

Bern rises from the chair. His tea cup left untouched. Sophia rises too. She holds his hand. The others stare them but they don't seem to notice it.

Sophia asks, "Please, could you visit me again?"

Bern only growls once. The others are alarmed but Sophia smiles brightly.

She says, "I will be waiting for your next visit, Your Grace."

Finally the Duke and his maid have left.

Lyons and Tess are staring each others.

Miranda protests, "He kept growling like a Savage man. Where did you find the cave man, Dear?"

"The Duke is a mute man, Ma'am. A thug damaged his voice many years ago."

Tess says, "Find out more about him, Lyons."

The advocate says, "I live to serve you, Lady Tess."

As expected, her face turns bright red.

Sophia stares to them. She already misses Bern.

She quickly says, "I need some rest. If anyone could show me my room..."

Tess quickly says, "Let me show you the way. Does your head still hurts?"

"Sometimes. Not too often."

The sisters leave the living room too.

Miranda grumbles, "Just look at that hideous man. Bulky figure like a bull. Why can't she accept ordinary nobleman?"

Lyons warns, "Stop complaining. You drove me nuts."

"A devil thinks of nothing but profit."

"Shut up, Lady Rockwell. I won't look for Seb if you didn't behave well."

"Really? You know where he is?" asks her immediately.

Lyons says carefully, "I might know. Treat the sisters nicely or I wouldn't tell you anything."

"Yes, yes, of course. As long as Seb got back to me."

"And no more drinking. Seb hates drunkard," warns Lyons.

Miranda says, "No more drinking."

Love made fools of everyone. Even a respectable lady like her.

Lyons leaves the manor and goes straight to Dallas gym.

Here is another drunkard to take care.

He kicks Dallas' feet and the drunkard got awakened.

Dallas warns, "Kept doing that and I'll break your scrawny neck...hik!"

"Just wanted you to know we found Sophia."

Dallas got alerted instantly. He rises but he instantly groans when his head spins a lot.

He even puked to the floor.

Lyons protests, "Disgusting, man! Don't let Sophia see you like this."

"Come to the manor when you have cleaned up," suggests Lyons.

The advocate leaves the gym. He goes to his office. One of his colleagues might know about the mysterious Duke.

The Duke is a mute man. But he is still healthy and in his prime time. Sophia seems to like him a lot. The only thing to do is to check his financial situation. Don't want Sophia to marry a poor nobleman.

Tess would skin Lyons alive if it happened.

-----------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to vote and comment:)