Ch.3 I don't belong here

"Can't believe Jane left us! Just like that!" complaints Lyons.

"She could have stayed in London. Helping us. She's a marchioness now. Her new title would boost her sisters' reputations!" laments him.

"It's called honeymoon, Ducane. A pleasant time for newlyweds. A bachelor like you wouldn't understand," mocks Miranda.

She is drinking a glass of champagne. Making a toast to lovely full moon seen through the open window.

"Too early to celebrate anything," warns Lyons.

"Are you kidding me? Tomboy Jane has darkest skin, rude manners, and hot temper. And she found a decent husband. One down, two to go," says Miranda.

Tess is sitting on a chair. She's busy knitting right now.

She complaints, "Sound like you're trying to sell us off, Miranda."

"Of course, dear. That's what marriage is. The debutante is sold to highest bidder. For the benefit of the families," laments Miranda bitterly.

Sophia sits a bit too erectly. Lyons touches her arm and she is startled.

"No worries, okay. We will find the best suitor for you. I promise. We won't force you to marry anyone you dislike," says Lyons.

Sophia nods. She still looks scared.

"If only my mangy brother had left more dowries for them. Ten thousand pounds for each girl. Bet all of them would be married by now," laments Miranda.

Lyons scolds, "He couldn't. And you know it too. His heir had honored his wish and let the girls have their dowries. If the amount was too huge, his heir would definitely file a lawsuit. And the girls would accept nothing from their father."

"Men. They could find women anywhere they want. And we are stuck at home. Doing domestic chores! Slaves, slaves, I'm telling you!" yells Miranda angrily.

"Girls, go to sleep. Don't listen to her babblings. She's under stress. Can't find a new Butler yet..." explains Lyons.

"I don't need a new Butler! I just want Seb back! Oh, Seb...I miss...you..."

Miranda is crying until she's fallen asleep on the couch.

"And this is why you shouldn't drink too much, girls," warns Lyons while lifting up Miranda.

He carries her to her room. Tess walks ahead of them to open the doors.

Sophia stares to the moon in the night sky. And she sighs.

(I'm scared! I don't belong here! I don't want to marry a total stranger...)

Jane just married this morning. And she has left for the Continent. For her honeymoon. She married a very handsome nobleman, Marquee Bourne. A rich guy. Still a total stranger for her.

Tess is always a calm girl. Hard to say anything to her. Unlike Jane, Sophia could confide her fears to her.

Lyons has finally returned to the sitting room.

And he asks, "Any request, Sophia? Handsome rich guy?"

Sophia shakes her head.

"Come on. Must be something you like. How about music? You like music?" asks Lyons.

Sophia nods a little. Her late mother was an opera singer. Not the lead. Only the support role. But she had shared her passion for music with her since she's a wee high.

"Good. We have few good musicians in ton. I will try to find the best guy for you," says Lyons.

"How about me? Got a good suitors for me yet?" asks Tess.