Ch.2 My sisters

Amber skin, brown hair and cat shaped gray eyes. She is shorter than Tess.  She's a stout looking girl.

The girl next to her is even shorter. She looks more feminine. A bit too skinny. Blond hair and almond shaped gray eyes.

Lyons introduces, "This is Ms. Theresa Matthews, your oldest sister. She's nineteen years old. On the way to be a spinster. If I hadn't brought her here..."

(She's staring me with murderous intent. Gosh! I really miss her...better be careful. The deal said no flirting. Or I won't get anything. But it's just Tess...)

The stout looking girl offers her hand and Tess accepts it.

"Jane Appleton, 18 years old, from Liskeard, Cornwall," introduces her.

"Really? I'm from Marazion, also in Cornwall," says Tess.

The other one says a bit softly, "I...I'm 17 years old. From London."

"We need to talk," says Miranda to Lyons.

"Yes, of course."

They walk out of the sitting room.

"Are you insane? Those girls are destined to be wall flowers. We won't get our money in this rate," protests her.

"It's in your brother's will. He believed in you, Milady," says Lyons coolly.

"You aren't the one in charge of polishing them. Tess is just average. She would probably marry an old widower. But still acceptable. But that dark skin girl..."

"Her name is Jane Appleton. She's quite popular in her farming village," explains him.

"Exactly. A farmer! Not suitable for gentlemen in ton! My brother is torturing us from beyond grave!"

Lyons says, "I believe in you, Milady."

"I'm no miracle worker," complaints her.

"I think all of them have potentials. And no old widower, Milady. The will stated it clearly. The suitors must be men in their prime time. Have decent living to feed his wife."

"Tortures, I tell you!"

"Don't think it as assignment. Think it as a challenge. Training youngsters to be a beauty just like you, Milady..." says Lyons while kissing her hand politely.

"If you put it that way..."

"The best lady for the job."

"You could even made bargain with the devil, Lyons."

"They said I'm his co-worker."

Finally Lady Miranda smiles a little bit.

"I must read the will for them right now. Would you join me, Lady Rockwell?"

"Yes. I'm dying to know the will too..."

*****

"My name is Rye Sombren Worthington, the twenty one Duke Worthington in the line. I made this will in healthy state of mind.

After being bed ridden for almost one year, I have realized the errors in my past.

Like many other noblemen, I have many illegitimate children. I have chosen three young girls with potentials. To be trained and wed to proper gentlemen. One year is the time limit.

Their suitors must be men in their prime time (less than forty years old). They have decent earning to support their wives. Men with good characters. Not like I.