Ch.9 A dance with him

Despicable noblemen. All of them kept making improper bets. They kept betting who could convince Sophia to be his mistress.

Bern drinks his wine silently.

Lyons Ducane has visited him earlier. He gave him an invitation for a party. Bern tried to decline it at first. So the advocate just left the invitation on his desk.

Finally his curiosity won. He wanted to see Sophia again. Even in a crowded ballroom like this. It has been a fortnight since he last met Sophia.

Lady Sophia Joscelind, she is indeed an English Rose. Compared to Bern, she looks petite. A pretty, graceful Lady.

And all the noblemen here want her as a mistress, not as wife.

Bern finishes his drink. And he approaches her.

Sophia smiles widely when he finally offers her a dance. Her head still hurts sometimes. But her memories start to return slowly.

A waltz dance with the Duke

A waltz dance with the Duke. Tonight Bern really looks like a rich Duke.

They dance waltz twice.

Lyons Ducane offers Sophia for the next dance. And they start to dance. Compared to Bern, Lyons felt so slender.

Lyons asks, "Are you enjoying the party, Milady?"

"Yes, definitely."

"Do you really like him that much?"

Sophia doesn't answer. But her face has told him everything.

Lyons smiles a little.

He says, "Don't worry. I shall arrange everything for you."

Bern is eyeing him like a predator. Lyons felt he wanted to skin him alive for dancing with her.

The Duke has left the party. Sophia looks down hearted.

Tess is staring Lyons. And he only shrugs his shoulders. The Duke is a mute man. Not easy wanting to know his intentions.

Sophia has lost any interest to dance anymore so they go home.

In the carriage, Tess asks, "How do you feel, Sophia? Does your head still hurts?"

"Sometimes..."

Dallas has visited her this morning. He looks devastated knowing she was attacked in front of his gym. If only he hadn't gone drinking, he could have saved her.

The looks in his face. Sophia wonders if she has hurt him too deeply. He is in love with her.

Alas!

She couldn't return the feelings.

Sophia says, "I would be okay."

Lyons asks, "The Duke is a mute man. Are you sure you want him?"